New 667Mhz Powerbook or Old 667Mhz Powerbook?

bluefossil

Registered
I'm debating which one I should get. The price is about the same. The only major difference I see is that the new 667 comes with 1MB of Level 3 cache and the old 667 using only 256K of Level 2 cache. <BUT> the old one comes with 512MB RAM while the new 667 only comes with 256MB RAM.
So which one is more important? RAM or cache? :confused:

Please give me your insight.

Thanks!

I just got the new DVI TiBook 667MHz, and I think it's a better deal than the old one. First off, you get a 1MB L3 cache, add a higher resolution display (trust me, you'll appreciate the bump in resolution), a faster graphics chip and more video memory (Radeon 7500 with 32MB DDRAM). All together, it makes it a more powerful system. You don't get as much RAM nor do you get an AirPort card, but I think it's a better buy with more longevity built in.

You can updgrade RAM. I don't think you can upgrade cache RAM.

Extra cache RAM can make or break a processor. For an example, look at the Intel Celeron (I know, it's painful to think of them, but those are the ones with the specs that I know). The Celeron was a low price chip, primarily because it had no cache memory. The PII (or PIII, can't remember) came out about the same time. The Celeron performed like a salted slug in comparison, even though the processor speeds were nearly identical.

Anyone can feel free to shoot holes in this anecdote -- I'm trying to recall details, but I'm failing...

Back