New G5 benchmarks even better than the originals?!

From your link, uoba:

Update: New document, old SPEC scores: the VeriTest benchmarks are the same tests that were debunked here, and defended here - in great detail. Curiously, Apple's SPEC scores are lower than figures for early G5 silicon supplied to The Register last October. ®

There is currently debate raging about how fast the G5 actually is compared to x86 processors. Check slashdot for commentaries and links about what is the fairest way to test and how the chips compare.

It will all come out in a matter of weeks as the G5s start trickling into home/business users.

Those Spec tests are meaningless to me. I want Photoshop, Lightwave, After Effects, Final Cut and Neverwinter Nights numbers. That's information I can use.

It will be obvious, not right away, but after the high of the new machines floats away. When people have been using their G5s for a few months for lots of things.

My prediction...the G5 effectively levels the playing field and will allow Apple to sustain itself in its niche pro markets for several more years. You can forget gaining market share (if six million iMacs can't do it, nothing will). Apple's best hope is hanging on to its ever-loyal niche markets, which means they can keep a 5% share that will never, ever go away.

I was about to say the same thing... because I know so many people who make a living betting on benchmarks and whatnot. Real-world tests are nothing compared to benchmarks.

I think benchmarks are only useful as bragging rights for companies like IBM and Intel, so they can say, "My processor has higher integer performance than yours." "Oh yeah? Mine's got better floating point performance than yours!" *Nude mud wrestling by respective companies' female employees ensues*

There is much more to a system's performance than processor speed, as we all know. There is bus speed, disk speed, PCI speed, memory speed, graphics speed, and much more. The G5's have superior technology in almost all of these fields, and that is why they beat the PC's in real-world tests.

One other thing that you people forgot to mention regarding performance compared to different architectures is the software, be it apps or games...

If the software is customized more for say Macs then the poor Wintels/Amd can only hope that speeds will go up, up and up some more :p And of course the same goes for Apple too! ;)

Well, aren't we all happy that people ARE fighting about how FAST the G5 is? Before, we only heard of people arguing about how SLOW the G4 was. ;-)

Speaking of optimized software..Apple has no excuse now on delivering highly optimized code for its OS and its cre apps like Final Cut Pro.

I mean, a 64-bit machine running a Unix-based OS with wonderful apps like FCP all made by the same company...wow. What a perfect situation.

I'll give them some more time to ready up the OS and the apps, a good year or so, but by then it should be glass.

Back