New iPod Touch--question

alra111

Registered
The new iPod Touch will let me surf the web via Wi-Fi...

Do I need to pay any monthly fee for this, or subscribe to any service?

Or I just get internet when in a Wi-Fi zone?

I have a wireless home network...is this Wi-Fi? Can I use this network to let that new iPod Touch surf the web?

Thanks,
Alra111

WiFi = Wireless Internet. This is what you have in your home, what you get at the café, or what may be installed in your workplace. It's not part of a cellular network, and therefore, there are no monthly charges. It uses wireless b/g, which you probably have running if you have a wireless router.

You may have to pay for a WiFi service provider at places you frequent that you might use it, if your taking it mobile. I find it rare in my neck of the woods to find open WiFi that doesn't come with a fee.

Any Panera Bread; Starbucks, and many McDonalds. There are lots of free wireless networks out there.

In settings, if it's like the iPhone, set it to "Ask to join other networks".

I was thinking about this and I wondered, "what about intrusion prevention security in case you decide to take the plunge and be brave/stupid and connect to that hotspot labeled 'Free Public Wifi'?" So far, I don't think there is any firewall of any sort to prevent unsuspecting users from fake hotspots on the iPhone/iPod touch...

Along those same lines, when in a hotspot, can I access, for instance, my webmail? Can I send email via webmail? Is Safari on the iPod touch? In other words, does the "whole" internet work?

OS X can take it!

Yes, but stock Mac OS X has a firewall. Does the stripped OS X in the iPhone and iPod touch have this or eventually going to include something like this?

Remember that even robust Unix-based systems are only as strong as the users that configure them (weak passwords, unsafe browsing/security practices).

Back