new Mac mini connecting to Slack server

huub

Registered
Hi,

I recently bought a Mac mini, and I want it to connect to my Slackware nfs/samba file/printer server. I've read about connectivity using smb, but I haven't been able to connect to the shares on the server yet. If I use Connect to Server, and I fill in the username, I am able to connect to the home-directory, but that's not what I want. I searched the forum, but found no satisfying answer yet. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Are you sure you have the correct smb directories shared on the slackware server? Check your settings in /etc/samba/smb.conf (path value)

Thanks for answering. I checked the path value, but as I expected it is pointing to the correct directory. I use samba for Windows access as well which works good and I already added the IP address for the Mac to smb.conf (and restarted the samba server). Any other suggestions?

Does the tip to move from SMB to netatalk mean that the Mac _can't_ properly use SMB shares and always tries to get the home folder regardless of the SMB-definitions?

Does the tip to move from SMB to netatalk mean that the Mac _can't_ properly use SMB shares and always tries to get the home folder regardless of the SMB-definitions?

It can, but I was just offering another solution. I tried using Samba with my Slackware PC and my iMac, but when it came to certain Macintosh files it never actually seemed to read them right. I've never had that issue with NetaTalk.

Configuring Netatalk is different than Samba, but it seems to function more elegantly for me than Samba with Macintosh specific files.

Back