new UNIX user csh.login $PATH screw up please help

Silkred

Registered
I installed 10.2.1 and my mySQL database stopped working - while looking for an answer I found out the $PATH had been changes -

I tried to update in using PICO - i managed fine but made a mistake and put in the wrong paths:

/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/bin/local:usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:

the bold bit is the mistake - the bad bit is terminal now does not work - I can navigate around but cant list or use PICO to fix the file

do I have an alternative to reinstalling the OS - can I somehow get to this file with the right permisions - I have tried to login as ROOT and I have interupted boot and tried from there but it was read only...

please help.

Thanks

You should be able to manually type a set path command from the prompt, since set is a shell built in command.

Something like this: (Use a different path expression if necessary)
Code:
setenv PATH "/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/bin/local:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin"

Then run rehash (also a shell built in) to check the new paths, and you should be good for at least long enough to start up pico and fix the file.

You can download TinkerTool to see the hidden files including csh.login

You can download BatchMod to change permissions on csh.login so you can edit it.

You can download BBedit Lite to edit the file csh.login

Those other two methods should work, too, if the simple "fix it from tcsh" procedure doesn't work for some reason.

To have Terminal default to a different shell, open the Terminal Preferences. You'll see the obvious option to change.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out - I have changed to zsh - however when I fixed the $PATH to the default OS value and changed back to tcsh it still gave the same error message - I have resigned myself to a clean install - the this is I got into this because my mysql database stopped working - and I am just not skilled enough in UNIX to feel confident about fixing thingsa at this level.

I am feeling a bit sad that my Mac is like this but at the same time I am looking forward to learning new stuff.

:cool:

Back