No "droppable" aliases for Firewire drives?

blackoutspy

Registered
I just recently got a lacie external firewire hard drive, so im saving my large pieces of work and such to the drive. I used to have a number of aliases on my desktop leading to various folders inside "Pictures". Now that im saving almost all of that stuff to my firewire, i thought i would just make an alias to a folder on the drive. But i can't drag and drop stuff in it ::sleepy:: . Basically what i want to know is if there is anyway to accomplish what I've described to you. I am running 10.3.4 Panther if that makes things any easyer.

Did you try to pull the folders on your mounted lacie to the left banner of your finder window and see if drag&drop works?
I am sure there is a solution, but if you won't find any, you could simply seperate those important folders into different partitions and they will be mounted as seperate icons which will support drag&drop.
Another idea: could folder action be of any help?

Maybe check the permissions of the firewire drive? Maybe there is something goofy going on with those.

Hmm, if i drag the folder into the side bar of the finder, drag and drop works. The permissions didn't have anything to do with the dragging and droping to and alias on my desktop. I went looking through the folder actions and i couldn't find one to suit my purpose. Any other ideas?

sounds like the icon on the side bar didn't satisfy you, huh? You are looking for a link on your desktop?

blackoutspy said:
I just recently got a lacie external firewire hard drive, so im saving my large pieces of work and such to the drive. I used to have a number of aliases on my desktop leading to various folders inside "Pictures". Now that im saving almost all of that stuff to my firewire, i thought i would just make an alias to a folder on the drive. But i can't drag and drop stuff in it ::sleepy:: . Basically what i want to know is if there is anyway to accomplish what I've described to you. I am running 10.3.4 Panther if that makes things any easyer.

I have a firewire drive here running 10.3.4 and I have alias's on my desktop that link to my firewire drive without problems. Have you repaired disk permisions using disk utility for the firewire drive?...this may fix the problem. Also do a get info and see if the alias's that aren't working are actually pointing to the correct folder on your firewire drive, if not then select a new original or just re-create the alias's.

The thing is, the alias are working just fine, if i double-click on it, it will open that folder, but what i want to do is drag a file ontop of the alias, and have it store the file on the firewire drive that the alias points to. I will also try to repair permissions when i get to the machine tomarrow.

Zammy-Sam said:
sounds like the icon on the side bar didn't satisfy you, huh? You are looking for a link on your desktop?
Yeah, i am, i really don't know why i like that more, i think its just asthetics.

I recently got a Western Digital external and had similar problems. I went into Disk Utility and used Verify Disk. It was showing some errors so I erased the disk and started over (luckily at that point I was moving a few apps over to test it). After that, I repaired permissions on my hard drive and I've had no problems with it at all.

Well, i tryed everything suggested here, and somewhere along the way i did something right, and now it works. I'm not sure yet what it was, but i think it was choosing a new original after i created the alias. I'll check to make sure and post it here, incase anyone is having the same problem :p Thanks for all the help! :D

Ok, i've determined what made the alias not work for dragging and dropping. When i right clicked on the folder and created the alias, it was made on the firewire drive, then i dragged it to the desktop. But, the way firewire drives work, is they want to copy by nature (how to change this with a folder action, im not sure yet) so i ended up with an alias to an alias to a folder. If that makes sense. So, if you have this problem, just make sure after you make the alias, assign a new original after you have it where you want it, just to make sure everything is pointing in the right direction.

Back