No valid packages error after OS 10.4.7 reinstall

rusmuscat

Registered
I just reinstalled OS 10.4 after a major file corruption issue. One of the problems I noticed before the crash was that there were no permissions to repair. Disk Utility told me that "there are no valid packages".

So after the reinstall, I brought over most of my apps from a backup disk, rather than reinstalling them from original CDs. Now I still get a "no valid packages" error, even though, according to Apple, the reason for this error is that the BaseSystem.pkg file is missing from the Library/Receipts folder. It's NOT missing. It's right there.

My question is, why am I still getting the 'no valid packages' error even though the BaseSystem.pkg file is there? How do I get rid of this error? Will the continued lack of 'valid packages' contribute to problems and file corruption again?

Thanks.

Vlad

I just reinstalled OS 10.4 after a major file corruption issue. One of the problems I noticed before the crash was that there were no permissions to repair. Disk Utility told me that "there are no valid packages".

So after the reinstall, I brought over most of my apps from a backup disk, rather than reinstalling them from original CDs. Now I still get a "no valid packages" error, even though, according to Apple, the reason for this error is that the BaseSystem.pkg file is missing from the Library/Receipts folder. It's NOT missing. It's right there.

My question is, why am I still getting the 'no valid packages' error even though the BaseSystem.pkg file is there? How do I get rid of this error? Will the continued lack of 'valid packages' contribute to problems and file corruption again?

Thanks.

Vlad

You need to copy the contents of /Library/Receipts over as well as the applications and the error will go away. The repair permissions process looks at the some of the *.pkg files in /Library/Receipts and uses BOM (Bill of Material) files inside to reset the permissions to the default.

My ultility, Mac HelpMate, can assist with inspecting the contents of those packages.

So am I correct in understanding that it's not enough to have a BaseSystem.pkg file present. It's what's inside that matters?

I'll check out your utility.

Thanks.

Vlad

I also have BaseSystem.pkg in the right place, and get the same errors. However, I'm confused by how you explained to fix it. Can you help me figure out what to do?

I also have BaseSystem.pkg in the right place, and get the same errors. However, I'm confused by how you explained to fix it. Can you help me figure out what to do?

You need to copy the contents of /Library/Receipts over as well as the applications and the error will go away. The repair permissions process looks at the some of the *.pkg files in /Library/Receipts and uses BOM (Bill of Material) files inside to reset the permissions to the default.

My ultility, Mac HelpMate, can assist with inspecting the contents of those packages.

If you have a backup of your boot volume, copy the contents of /Library/Receipts from the backup to the present boot volume.....

Back