Norton U´s 7 will not work properly in OS 10.2.3

krammer

Registered
I have another question,
maybe i´m stupid but i think Norton U´s 7 hates me.
I tried to work with 7 but it will not show my harddisc´s, so it´s just not possible to check or to repair anything.
Does anyone know this problem and maybe knows how to deal with it????
Would be great,n

I wouldn't put any Norton product on my drives in X. It's caused a lot of problems for people.

Use DiskWarrior if you have it.

Run fsck on your disks to check them.

To run fsck, you first need to start up your Mac in single-user mode. Here's how:

1. Restart your Mac.

2. Immediately press and hold the Command and "S" keys.

You'll see a bunch of text begin scrolling on your screen. In a few more seconds, you'll see the Unix command line prompt (#).

Congratulations.You're now in single-user mode. I bet you've never seen your Mac screen look like that before. (I wish I could show you a screen shot of it, but as far as I can tell, it's not possible. And photos of it are ugly.)

Now that you're at the # prompt, here's how to run fsck:

1. Type: "fsck -y" (that's fsck-space-minus-y).

2. Press Return.

The fsck utility will blast some text onto your screen. If there's damage to your disk, you'll see a message that says:

***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

If you see this message--and this is extremely important--repeat Steps 1 and 2 again and again until that message no longer appears. It is normal to have to run fsck more than once -- the first run's repairs often uncover additional problems..

When fsck finally reports that no problems were found, and the # prompt reappears:

3. Type: "reboot" to restart,

or type "exit" to start up without rebooting.

4. Press Return.

Your Mac should proceed to start up normally to the login window or the Finder.
===========================================

You can also leave your machine on all night and the built in maintainance routines will run automatically. Just set not to sleep the hard drive.

I leave mine on 24/7, but you could just leave in on one night a week to run.

thank you for the quick answer,
i don´t have DiskWarrior yet but i´ll look out for it once i´m back at work again and try these out.
wish you a great ´03,n

Krammer,

Lots of people express dislike for Norton, but I've found that Norton Utilities works fine for DiskDoctor and Defrag if you boot from the cd. To do this, put the Norton CD in and reboot or start up the computer. Hold down C to boot from the cd. Then run Utilities from the cd. Run DiskDoctor FIRST before you attempt to defrag.

I bought Norton, and I'm not going to quit using it. I've used it a dozen times at least with no problems.

Doug

Well,

everything you posted is good help, but how can i make my volumes/partitions appear in the windows of disk doctor and unerase (i have empty windows, no volume or hd)?

PB Lombard G3 under Jaguar 10.2.3

Thanks in advance.

Walwero:

No volumes? Even after you boot from the cd?
Your main hard drive doesn't show up?

And you can still boot in to OS X?

Doesn't the Norton CD show up?

Doug

Doug,

thanx for quick response.

I haven't tried to boot from the Norton-CD. I installed the complete SystemWorks package an launched the program from my hd. Norton menu and the programs like unerase comes up, but doesn't show any volume at all.

I start my lombard under Jaguar 10.2.3 without any problem. Except one funny thing: From time to time when i logout I get a dark screen with the message in different languages "You have to restart your computer. Press the start-button for several seconds or the reset button". I think this comes up from Norton. But I don't understand it.

In the meatime I've heard a lot of bad things about Norton for Jaguar incl. Kernel panics etc. I'm siting on a fence. Go ahead with Norton or desinstall Norton (but how?).

Looking forward to your comment.
( sorry for my bad english ).

I had the same problem. Just last week-end I ran the "Live Update" program and it updated Utilities to the latest version. Now all my mounted disks show up under OSX. It seems that every time Apple updates OSX (now up to 10.2.3), I need to check for an update to Norton too. To make repairs using Disk Doctor, I still need to boot on the Norton 7 CD.

Back