Nvidia 256 mb video card in eMac?

macmastah

Registered
Hi,

I'm wondering if it is possible to put the new 256 mb Nvidia card into a superdrive eMac. I don't think it can be put into a new iMac G5...so looking for an alternative comp (instead of the PowerMac G5) that can use this card.

Thanks

No currently sold Macintosh model can be upgraded with a new video card with the exception of the PowerMac G5 tower machines.

The iMac, eMac, PowerBook and iBook all have their graphics "cards" built-in, and they're not removable nor upgradeable.

Sure it can! Just wait until 256mb becomes standard in the iMac a couple years from now with 512mb on the high-end model.

Hehe... that'll get you 256MB of VRAM, but it still doesn't make it upgradeable. If you buy an eMac/iMac/PowerBook/iBook with 32MB of VRAM, you're stuck with it. Same goes for 256MB.

Buying a new machine doesn't constitute upgrading the machine.

Quick question....can you take an ati 9700 all-in-wonder out of a PC and use it in a G5? Assuming you could successfully flash its ROM (is that possible?)?

Assuming you can flash the ROM, there is a slight chance it would work. Just make sure the voltage of the card is 3.3, not 5.0. I doubt any of the "All-in-Wonder" functions would work like video-in, but it might run a monitor.

Flashing cards never seems to work perfectly, and only successfully works part of the time.

The combination of fast cpu AND fast graphic card will give you a noticeable performance increase. So, if one thinks that upgrading a G4 800mhz with a 256mb ati or nvidia will give him/her 100% more speed... ehhhh, not true. Another thing is, that the increase of video memory doesn'T correlate with the game performance. It just allows games with high res textures to not go over the rather slow agp and system memory. Nothing else..

Back