Office 2004 - check serial?

Morgan19

Registered
My work is replacing an old G4 with a G5, and I'd like to install the copy of Office 2004 that *was* on the G4 onto the G5. Unfortunately I can't seem to find any record of the serial number on the system to make sure I'm installing that particular copy, which is important because we have four or five copies of Office floating around: we have other Macs and I don't want to inadvertantly lock out another user by installing the copy already on their system.

Is it possible to check the serial of the copy on the G4, before we wipe it clean and install that copy on another system instead?

m19

Unfortunately, no. It'll be a hit-or-miss operation -- just be glad you've only got 4 or 5 computers instead of 40 or 50!

It's a good idea to keep a simple Excel spreadsheet or database with the computer name and installed programs with serial numbers handy for situations like this.

Nope, just has the ID number. (Are you sure that's not what you're seeing?) The ID number and serial number are completely different.

In any case, I figured a fix out by copying all the files over directly... I didn't think it'd work with OSX but it did!

m19

Morgan19 said:
Nope, just has the ID number. (Are you sure that's not what you're seeing?) The ID number and serial number are completely different.

In any case, I figured a fix out by copying all the files over directly... I didn't think it'd work with OSX but it did!

m19

I found out the same thing with my new Mac from my old Mac. I think the information is kept somewhere in the Preference files.

Back