OmniWeb Development Thread

fryke

Staff member
Mod
4.1 sp 91 is available.

The Release Notes:

4.1sp90
- Fixed some CSS border parsing bugs which would cause certain border attributes to get ignored in some circumstances (such as when a border style identifier followed a border color).
- Fixed URL completion bug where "apple/" would become "http://www.apple@.com/".
- We now populate the Speech Commands window
- Fixed a bug that prevented OmniWeb from remembering that you had turned on Speech Recognition in the preferences.
- Fixed a table bug that affected fixed width nowrap table cells
- Fixed a table layout bug

With this release we hope to have fixed the last of the cases that could cause improper layout of some tables (versiontracker.com, sport1.de, warpkeen.com, and others where content seems to be partially obstructed or clipped). We would appreciate anyone who has been experiencing this issue to give this release a good workout to see if you can still reproduce the problem. If so, please let us know by sending mail to sneakypeek@omnigroup.com. Including a screenshot of the problem would be helpful to us as well. Thanks!

• 4.1sp91
- Fixed a bug introduced in sp90 which would eat CPU forever after viewing certain pages.

Actually, THIS is what I call fast development cycles. :)

Let's keep future OW updates in this thread, k? :)

OmniWeb is nice, but until it has perfected it's compatibilities with HTML, JavaScript, and Cascading Style Sheets, I won't be using it full time at all. I still use Internet Explorer, which, yes it does have bugs and stupid things, but it renders websites sooo much better then all the competition. I know many people don't like it, but they don't like it because of it's bugs. It's the most casual (as in not strick for webmasters) HTML interpreter ever and Netscape/Mozilla won't ever compare.

I just wish Microsoft got their act together and release a new update to IE. Maybe with Jaguar they will. They have the money to make it so much better then it is now (just fix about 10 bugs and speed it up some and you're set).

So far in my experiance OmniWeb's support for HTML is pretty good, its the things that go along with HTML that cause it problems. Like CSS and JavaScript. Once they get these fixed things should work much better. Hopefully they will get more JavaScript worked out before 5 so that I can start using OW for my Bank's web site.

How about we leave this thread free of browser bashing. Just a thread to follow the development of a great peice of software.

I'm not bashing OmniWeb, I'm just stating that it's not all that you guys think it is. People are saying that it's awesome, but it's nothing compared to IE.

THINK ABOUT IT

I THOUGHT ABOUT IT and think that your preferences may be different. You like IE more, I like OW more. I guess that's about all that came out of THINKING ABOUT IT. Btw, I'd love to love IE, but the UI is hacked together instead of *really* using Aqua. Just like Office v. X. You notice when you use a different theme.

But back to OW. This time, I *really* think OmniGroup should release it as final. There's still bugs to be fixed on sp 91, but those could be addressed at 4.1.1 or something.

You guys on these forums crack me. You defend your ideas as if they're your child or something. calmate!

Yes, stop with the bashing. Can't we leave these threads alone. Create a browser wars thread if you want to. I know I'm sometimes guilty with doing this, but it is really stupid.

Originally posted by kainjow
OmniWeb is nice, but until it has perfected it's compatibilities with HTML, JavaScript, and Cascading Style Sheets, I won't be using it full time at all. I still use Internet Explorer, which, yes it does have bugs and stupid things, but it renders websites sooo much better then all the competition. I know many people don't like it, but they don't like it because of it's bugs. It's the most casual (as in not strick for webmasters) HTML interpreter ever and Netscape/Mozilla won't ever compare.

I just wish Microsoft got their act together and release a new update to IE. Maybe with Jaguar they will. They have the money to make it so much better then it is now (just fix about 10 bugs and speed it up some and you're set).

First of all, let me say that this is not bashing. I don't mind when people post things like this in this thread. It's not at all annoying. What's annoying is when people overlook the fact that even OmniWeb has problems.

Yeah, it has annoying problems with JavaScript and CSS. But for the 99% of the websites that it renders correctly, it renders them SO MUCH BETTER than the competition, even IE. This is because it uses anti-aliasing, and I can't stand to use a browser that doesn't have this.

Plus, IE has a lot of stability problems, which get to me. That's why I use OmniWeb.

Not to bash, but in a comment that (I feel) is something we should all keep in mind, and that is that with the release of 10.1.5, Carbon apps will inherit Quartz antialiasing (with minor program updates)... now suppose IE renders with antialiasing... would you use OmniWeb? I use OmniWeb because it's very sleek and of course does nice antialiasing. I happen to like Chimera a lot but at the moment it's not useable, and even though I KNOW IE is unfortunately the best browser (overall) at this point, I really think they need to work on it some more. Supposedly there WILL be an IE 5.5 at MacWorld Expo in July... that might incite OmniGroup to start working a bit faster (WHERE is v.5? Or even 4.1? What's going on? Until it can load everything at least as well as Chimera, I'm going to be a bit upset that they're taking too long. If this summer IE hits 5.5 and Chimera hits 1.0 sometime this fall (MAYBE), OmniGroup is going to have a hard time catching up. I want them to, don't misunderstand me; I'm just worried that they're losing out.

On a side note, sp91 fixed a TON of small problems I was having... hooray!

I have always wonder what the heck Anti-Aliasing actually means. I might know, but didn't know what it was called.

If IE won't lose speed with Quartz Antialiasing, I'm in, definitely. I'm - and I hate to say it - a fan of Internet Explorer 5.x Macintosh Edition. It was the first in a row of browsers (on any platform) that had good CSS 1 & 2 compliance, which for me as a web developer was a big step in the right direction. Also the fact that it introduced the 'faceless' browsing I'm so fond of (no user interface, just the content, please) makes me a fan of IE (and OW for that matter) and I despise all Mozilla variants because they don't have that. Chimera will, but as I mentioned many times, the bookmark bar stays there for me, can't hide it. :p ...

But I *love* OW and the company behind it. They're like the greatest and fastest development company I know of. Okay, OW takes its time, but you also have to look at their other developments for a better view on that. Still think they do a good job, and I cross my fingers for 5.0.

Back