OS 9, Network 12 port Hub Or Switch adding Cable/DSL Router

macman60

Registered
Hi,
I have several Macs and 2 are running OS 8.5 and one is running OS 8.6 and the last Mac G3 is running OS 9.2.2. and I have a PC running Win/98. What have done is to run Cat5 (Ethernet) plates to a Cat5E Switch box which connects all the ethernet cables to a numbered box so you can then run patch cables to a router ( hub ) my question is that I'm installing DSL and I have a Cable/DSL router how do I configure this Cable/DSL router so that all the Macs and the one PC can connect onto DSL if needed at the same time.
Thanks,
Michael
macman60@charter.net

It's pretty easy. First thing, your router will be configured to be a DHCP client of the ISP's system, and to do the PPPoE authentication for you. The router should be equipped with firewall to protect you from the external network(Wide Area Net - WAN).
Now for the internal (LAN) net. Your router is configured to be a DHCP server to all the computers. You set up each computer to configure automatically by DHCP (this means they are clients). They can ALL connect to the internet simultaneously and appletalk to each other too.
HTH

Back