OS X 10.1.x Stability on Blue/White G3 Rev 1!

How stable is OS X on your B/W G3 Rev. 1. ?

• Rock Solid

• Stable with occasional crashes

• Crashes daily / Several times a day

• Wont run

Results are only viewable after voting.

[Scizo]

Registered
I'm having a lot of trouble getting OS X running on my G3 :(
So i was kinda hoping to hear from someone who actually has a usable installation of OS X on a G3 B/W Rev.1 before i give up :(

Only B/W Rev. 1 please. I really cannot use "OS X runs perfectly on my G3 Rev 2/ G4/imac/whatever"

I'm running OS X on a B & W G3 350 Rev. 1... 3 HD's. No problems. In fact, it's been running with less problems than on my other two Macs...

Hmm... could you tell me a little more about how much ram you have (possible bank configuration), do you have an "external" IDE controller to replace the internal one ?

I voted Rock Solid, but I went back to OS 9 because of speed and hardware issues. It's my work computer; I have 512 MB RAM, 400 MHz G3 blue and white. It seemed sluggish, but I attribute that to the G3 chip.

My config has 128 megs RAM, with a SCSI controller and two SCSI drives. This means I have OS X on a different drive than my OS 9 one. This might help you quite a bit to know.

This is my work computer as well. I am quite happy with it, btw. :)

I've spent the last 4-5 days debugging kernel panics, and it seems like most of my trouble is caused by disk corruption :(

Norton 6.0 would report "major errors" on all my partitions on _every_ run.

I'm now trying with a 3.2 gb. fujitsu drive (the one the machine came with).. maybe it'll resolve my problems. At least i'm able to run Disk Doctor several times without getting any errors!

About disk corruption-- I read on the internet somewhere (I think http://www.xlr8yourmac.com) that the early blue & whites have a disk corruption thing if you add more hard drives. The way to get around this is to get a 3rd party PCI controller or something. I remember looking pretty indepthly at this a while ago, but haven't done anything about it.

But yes, there is a disk corruption issue with those machines.

I know about the disk corruption on Rev. 1 B/W's, but i figured it was alright since the corruption test tool from xlr8yourmac couldnt find anything.

Back