OS X 10.6 or OS X 10.5 ?

Stellor

Registered
What is the latest OS that can be installed on a G5 Dual PPC processor?
The reason I ask is because I just returned from Micro Center where I told the salesman what I have and he handed me a large plastic box with a CD or DVD inside that says,
"Mac OS X Snow Leopard - New Version 10.6.3"
When I got home and could see the VERYsmall printing on the side it says,
" For Intel Processor"
I didn't open the package.
Is there an OS X 10.6 for PPC processors or do I need OS X 10.5 as in TIGER ?
Thanks for any help
Sam

Yes, you are correct about that 10.6.3 installer that you bought. It's intel-only, and won't install on your G5.
There is no PPC version of 10.6...
Newest version for your G5 is 10.5.8. known as Leopard.
Tiger is 10.4, which would be OK for you, too - but I would recommend Leopard, especially if you have lots of RAM installed.

Thanks for the quick reply.
I thought I remembered some confusion with the names when OSX 10.6 first came out but that was to long ago to have stuck in my brain.

Thanks Again
Sam

And...

10.5.8 (there could be a .9 but no guarantees) is the last version of OS X you will ever have for a PPC. Going forward, all development will be Intel-only.

(There never was a 10.5.9, and there never will be, 10.5.8 was the last update to 10.5.)
People should simply learn to remember version numbers. If people come into our store talking about Tiger or Leopard or Snow Leopard, I always have to make sure they got what they really think they have. Too often, customers mix up the cats' names, instead of simply memorizing the version number.

Back