• no, it's the thinking man's os

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no, I like having a less secure computer

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

spacecommander

Registered
I was quite disconcerted to find out that os x will not allow my beautifully designed custom hybrid CD to auto run. Can anyone tell me why or if there is another way? It would seem as though upgrading to OS X has meant losing out on a fine and reasonably simple presentation formats...I'm sort of over the planned obsolecence thing...

While DVDs and Audio CDs still can be set to autoplay on insertion, CD-ROMs currently do not. And thank god!

Welcome to the age of secure operating systems. What would be the point of having a rock solid, UNIX based Mac OS if any virus, spyware, or unauthorised app ridden CD shoved into the drive could launch and mangle it in one easy step? Stop being lazy and either make your app a mac executable (I know Macromedia hasn't yet carbonised their stuff), or if your CD is an offline website, have the user launch the start html file.

Even on OS9, one of the FIRST things I did when setting up my system was to DISABLE the CD autoplay/run. You learn that after you have an autostart worm virus run rampant at your University for a few weeks.

Back