OS X Fonts! ...

Sorry if this is in the 'wrong' forum, but it was a difficult one to call! Anyhow, i FINALLY got Photoshop For X, and am after Fonts! ... i have heaps of fonts for my XP machine, which are used more frequently than the base fonts that appear on that machine, much like on my iBook. Can someone point to a good site for X Fonts, not just Singular types, but maybe packs, (which are more convient and take less time to download!) ... that kinda thing?!

...Oh, and while i am posting, i may as well ask where they will Go!

Usually, i'd Just say ...
'D:\Windows\Fonts\'

Hey, i am gonna take a 'Stab in the dark' here...

is it \Library\Fonts ? ... If i am right, u ALL Owe me a Pint! :D

Thanks for ya Time Peeps, APPRECIATED! ...

NeYo : Switched and V. Chuffed (but hates being a 'newbie' :rolleyes: ) lol

There are 5 fonts folders in the OSX setup:

This is the order they are scanned by the System:

Your Private fonts in Home-->Library-->Fonts
[ these are yours only, nobody else can use, except you ]

Main Fonts in Library-->Fonts
[ just like the old Fonts folder in Mac OS 9 "System Folder", anyone can use ]

Network Fonts in Network-->Library-->Fonts
[ designed for having one load on a server for many comps ]

Essential System Fonts in System-->Library-->Fonts
[ needed by X for menus etc, leave these where they are ]

Classic Fonts in OS 9 System Folder-->Fonts
[ holds OS 9 fonts, as you know, and any Fonts you designate to run in classic ]

Hopes this INFO helps.............Cheers!

Do a search on the internet for font converters. I seem to remember a utility that would convert Windows true type fonts to Macintosh true type fonts. IIRC, there is little difference between the fonts other than a "bit change" or something.

I don't believe you have to do any conversion with OS X, I just downloaded a bunch of TrueType fonts and installed them in OS X and they work fine.

I read somewhere else that you can use
PC TrueTypes on OSX as is.

((Something about OpenType maybe???))

Most TTF files seem to work fine in OS X. FON files are a different story, but most of them are crappy Courier knockoffs anyway. ;-)

Macintosh TrueType and PostScript Type 1 are supported by OS X.
Windows PostScript Type 1 is too, maybe TrueType is too.

Finally, OpenType is supported.

Yip, you can install TTF files fine on Mac OS X. And just FYI, OS X uses UNIX-style paths, so instead of the backslash (\) to separate components in a file path, forward slashes (/) are used. So, you can install your fonts in /Library/Fonts or ~/Library/Fonts. You may also see the colon :)) used as a separator, which is what the "Classic" Mac OS (9 and below) used. Carbon applications, such as the Finder, often still use colons

Back