osx e-mail

kafene

Registered
i've really come to like the e-mail program that comes w/ osx, but i noticed something. it retrieves the mail off the server fine, but it doesn't delete them off the mail server from my verizon account. i have to occasionally retrieve my mail in eudora again to delete it off the server. is that how it works or is there a setting that i'm missing?:confused:

one thing i haven't tested are attachments w/ osx e-mail... there are any known issues is there?

tia

kafene

If you've got it set up as an IMAP account, then Mail only deletes the mail when you tell it to specifically. There should be an option under the preferences that'll allow you to purge the deleted items when you quit the program.

If you've got it set up as POP, well, can't help you much there. I prefer IMAP.

Originally posted by ElDiabloConCaca
If you've got it set up as an IMAP account, then Mail only deletes the mail when you tell it to specifically. There should be an option under the preferences that'll allow you to purge the deleted items when you quit the program.

If you've got it set up as POP, well, can't help you much there. I prefer IMAP.

i figured it out i think. after you mentioned the preferences and purging, i figured i'd take another look. there is a setting under "edit account". i must have missed that one. thanks...

kafene:rolleyes:

That's easy to fix.

In Mail's preferences, open up your accounts and double click on the account you want to edit.

Then click the "Account Options" tab and select "Delete messages from server after downloading."

actually when it is an imap setup as it should be, the option to click will be 'compact mailboxes when closing'.

this can also be done manually thru 'mailbox/empty trash'

click here for apple's complete instructions for deleting from server.

true. so we ended up with the bases covered. sorry to be so presumptious.

almost forgot - attachments work great with mail. pics show up in body of mail and files you just drag and drop to the desktop. if you are sending pics to others be sure to do a return between each attachment to give them seperation space by anyone who reads them in mail.

i didn't know there were any. we send pics as attachments to folks back in the midwest who would have no idea how to fix any problem, and they tell us thanks. i'm sure as ong as it is a format their computer can read it should be fine based upon sending jpegs.
oh, also sent some text files to work. they got them fine.

Originally posted by Ed Spruiell
actually when it is an imap setup as it should be, the option to click will be 'compact mailboxes when closing'.

this can also be done manually thru 'mailbox/empty trash'

click here for apple's complete instructions for deleting from server.

when u say "as it should be", what do u mean? as i don't know what imap is. i thought
pop was pretty standard? what's the difference/ advantage? please enlighten me:confused:

kafene.

i didn't know there were any. we send pics as attachments to folks back in the midwest who would have no idea how to fix any problem, and they tell us thanks. i'm sure as ong as it is a format their computer can read it should be fine based upon sending jpegs.
oh, also sent some text files to work. they got them fine.

I remember something about PC users having a hard time to decode the attachements or something, but it seems it's fixed then if it works for you.

kafene, again i apologize for being in my own little world when i wrote that. when i said "as it should be" i was thinking of mac.com accounts. if you enter your me@mac.com into an account, mail automatically defaults the account to imap and fills in many of the boxes for you. but you said you were working on a verizon account, which is no doubt a pop account. i just spaced and ignored that. that was a poor thing for me to do. again, sorry for confusing you. middle aged member will have middle aged moments.rolleyes:

but i will say that if you don't have an itools account with @mac.com mail, you ought to get it. it really is a nice mail system. i have found it to be every bit as reliable as my pachell account. and it's free. when you get pissed at verizon one day and change isp's you won't have to worry about notifying every one that uses the mac address.

basic difference between imap and pop - pop is designed for you to store email on your computer while imap is designed to store it on your provider's server. in reality not much difference.:

kafene, again i apologize for being in my own little world when i wrote that. when i said "as it should be" i was thinking of mac.com accounts. if you enter your me@mac.com into an account, mail automatically defaults the account to imap and fills in many of the boxes for you. but you said you were working on a verizon account, which is no doubt a pop account. i just spaced and ignored that. that was a poor thing for me to do. again, sorry for confusing you. middle aged member will have middle aged moments.rolleyes:

but i will say that if you don't have an itools account with @mac.com mail, you ought to get it. it really is a nice mail system. i have found it to be every bit as reliable as my pachell account. and it's free. when you get pissed at verizon one day and change isp's you won't have to worry about notifying every one that uses the mac address.

basic difference between imap and pop - pop is designed for you to store email on your computer while imap is designed to store it on your provider's server. in reality not much difference.:

i certainly appreciate all the information you've provided. i do actually have a mac.com e-mail ( kafene@mac.com). i use this on several occasions, but it's basically used for people to send me mail. i have never been able to send my myself using this account. one interesting note. when i go to look at the settings on my itools email account, it is not set to imap, but rather "Mac.com Account", which automatically fills in some of the information such as the smtp info and mail server. should i set it up as an imap & enter the information manually? or does it not matter?

kafene.

good question and i don't know the answer. i used to have mine as the automatic 'itools account' and during some freak accident i lost that account. my pachell account was fine during the same incident. i set it back up, manually naming it 'mac.com mail' before entering my email address which alerted it to complete all fields but my password i believe. it has worked great since.

the one thing i do about once every 2-4 weeks is double check it with browser mail. i normally find some spam that never came thru and delete it from the browser. only once have i found mail i wanted in this group and after changing my pref. with that site to my pachell account i get it right away.

Back