Panther = slower computer?

dcoon81

Registered
Hey all,

I have upgraded to panther via clean install from 10.2.8.Everything works just fine, except it is extremely slow doing just about everything. I am running it on a 1Ghz G4 PowerBook with 512mb ram. What should I do? Has anyone else expreienced this? I was thinking of another clean install to see if it helps. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

There is not clean install from 10.2.8! You must mean upgrade from 10.2.8 or Archive and Install or something... Backup, erase your hard disk and install Panther from scratch into your fresh, new formatted hard disk :D and let us know! :)

Panther should be far better than Jaguar in terms of speed.

While most upgrade installs go fine, I've seen a few people complain of slow response after an upgrade. So, I'd echo what the others said. Backup, reformat and reinstall.

Wade

I installed panther on my Sawtooth, with 1g ram and a 1.3ghz mercury G4 upgrade card, and it isn't exactly slow, but it seems to choke on certain actions from time to time, when 10.2.8 would smoothly cut right through them.

I installed cleanly on a drive that had data on it, but no OS, left 10.2.8 on the other drive. So, I didn't reformat, but there was no upgrade either...

iphoto is one of the culprits.

I wonder if fast user switching is possibly to blame, as I have that enabled with 2 users logged on pretty much all the time.

Very annoying. Makes my mac feel like the PC's at work, always freezing up for no reason, not really multitasking like 10.2.8 does...

One thing I've loved about the later 10.2 releases is how no matter what app is in the foreground and no matter how much cpu it is taking up, you could always instantly switch to another application or another window with no delay. Not so in Panther.

Anybody else experiencing this?

tivoKlr

My PowerBook (see sig for details) got slower with the switch from Jaguar to Panther, and that was clean install (with format and partitioning).
I won't say it's really slow, but it's slower than before.

From what I've heard the speed increase should be most obvious with G5 Macs and really old Macs...kinda sucks though to have your all new Mac made slower by the all new OS...hoping for a 0.0.1 update to fix that though...

i have a 1GHz G4 15" Powerbook,a nd when I upgraded, it installed just fine, and it went faster. It wasn't noticeably faster, though. Some apps seemed to load about the same as in jaguar. I don't see how it could go slower.

I started with Panther on my PowerBook 1.25 and it was much like using my PowerMac Dual with 10.2.8... quite good and fast for a notebook.

Now I'm on my PowerMac with 10.3 on it... Archive and Install upgrade...
It is really fast!!! :D
I didn't expect all this speed gain... but it is really fast!!! :D

I hope you can fix your own... mine is perfet and really nice to use! ;)

Ciao

I started as well with 10.2 installed on my alubook 1ghz but I've done two installs of panther with erasing the harddrive and it feels slower then 10.2. I thougt I would be faster, I'm kind of disappointed and with all the memory problems I've had see this thread

Viktor

ANY system that seems slower with Panther than 10.2.8 SURELY you have something installed (hardware/software) that isn't yet fully supported from Panther or something or you may installed it without formatting your hard disk from the previous setup... There is NO way that Panther is slower than Jaguar on the same system even on certain functions... NO WAY! You can say that in some functions is the same as Jaguar, in others is slightly faster and in most functions is A LOT FASTER and this means anything than above or equal to at least a 20-40% boost!

Well, I have a clean install of panther, just that, nothing added except network cable and mouse and I formated my hard drive before both installs of panther.

Viktor

My iMac G4 1GHz is faster with 10.3 than with 10.2.8.
My B&W G4 400MHz was faster with 10.1.5 than with 10.2.8

Back