pc-->mac internet network thru phoneline?

kidxsai

Registered
right now i have a pc connected to my cable modem thru a telephone line. my question is when i get my g5 would be linksys telephone adapter work for mac?

the guy at compusa told me that you can only network a pc to a mac thru wireless or ethernet cables. no way telephone dapater link. is this true?

I think he's right. Not sure. Just grab a crossover cable for a few bucks, or if you want something good for the long term (if you plan to get more computers) grab two wireless cards (don't need a base station if you use airport extreme on mac and 10.2 or higher) or a USB Bluetooth adapter. It might be possible through a telephone wire but if you figured out how I assume it would be a heck of a lot of work. Hope this helps.

No, you won't be able to use the "LinkSys Phoneline" technology with your Macintosh. You are potentially loosing out on the full performance of your cable modem through-put by using this "PhoneLine" connection.

I imagine your cable modem comes in one room and you have the computer in another and you are using your in-house phone line as the transport between the two, correct?

One way, not my recommendation, but possible would be to run a cross-over ethernet cable between the Windows and Macintosh, and turn on Internet sharing on the Windows box. If you got it all setup right, this in theory would work using your phoneline technology.

As the previous poster said... spend the cash and go with wireless. 802.11g is going to be the ideal solution without running cat5 ethernet cable in your house.

This "PhoneLine" connection is nothing really standard and is more of a "it's possible, but not recommended" technologies that are available.

yea scottw, thats exactly the setup i have. one pc in the basement with the Linksys HomeLink PhoneLine 10M Cable/DSL Router and cable modem and my pc in my bedroom upstairs installed with the linksys phoneline network card connected to my home phoneline jack. We've tried wireless but the signal was always too weak. and im trying to avoid using cables as i would have to drill holes and it would be just too much work. this phoneline networking is fine with me as i dont see any problems with internet speed.

i was also thinking of connecting my mac and my pc but not too sure if that would work. i guess when i get my g5 ill give it a try. thanks guys!

You might want to try connecting an external antenna to your external transmitter, such as an Airport Base Station. Adding an external antenna can add at least a mile to your range in normal, above-ground operations, so it should give you enough boost to download those large Quicktime trailers with ease.

You could of course also consider setting up your own telephone central and a PPP server ;)

Back