pc zip disks in osx?

kafene

Registered
o.k. guys... here's the problem. when i stick in a disk that is formatted from a pc, osx can't seem to recognize it (although the disk utility does see that it's a zip disk, but it won't mount it). i worked fine in os9, but i had that feature turned on. how do i do this is osx?

kafene

hmm it should work. I formatted my ZIP disk in Windows 98, and it will work on the school's Windows and iMacs with OS9, and it works just fine at home on OSX.

I dunno what to tell ya, try saving your files to a harddrive and then re-format it in Windows. Hopefully .. it will just 'work'

Originally posted by themacko
hmm it should work. I formatted my ZIP disk in Windows 98, and it will work on the school's Windows and iMacs with OS9, and it works just fine at home on OSX.

I dunno what to tell ya, try saving your files to a harddrive and then re-format it in Windows. Hopefully .. it will just 'work'

no problems w/ it using os9 @ work or the pc's @ school... just my osx :/

i had this problem in os9 just earlier, but it was the control panel setting that was not selected (forgot which one).

kafene.

no really, have you been using the same disk? try it with a different one and see what happens. to be on the safe side try it with a couple.

Originally posted by Ed Spruiell
no really, have you been using the same disk? try it with a different one and see what happens. to be on the safe side try it with a couple.

hey ed,

i'll give it another shot when i get to work. i hope it doesn't work so i can blame it on the zip ;) , because if it does work, that mean there IS an issue :rolleyes:

kafene

just to clarrify-
if you try another zip disk and it works - that means it was just a wanky disk to start with
if you try another one and it doesn't work, that means you probably have software and/or hardware problems. then you can really start thinking about screaming at iomega.

just an additional 2 cents while you're listening - if you are using an iomega brand zip disk, consider replacing it with a vst firewire zip250 when it comes time - which is never far away with an iomega in my expereince. i have gone thru at least 5 of their zip drives. it got to the point i would buy an extended store warrenty with each one and sure enough i always got the click of death within the year's time. then i could just go and get my new one for free since nobody repairs zip drives. i've had my vst for alsmost a year and a half with no real problems. even the ocassional toasted disk doesn't crap the whole mechanism.

There are bugs in iomega's drivers for DOS-formatted Zip disks. I encounter this problem occasionally. Usually I'll get a dialog uponinserting the disk that it is unreadable and needs to be formatted. It gives you the option to go to the Disk Utility. I do that and then eject the disk from there. Then, if I immediately reinsert the disk, it is usually recognized and mounts fine.

I don't know why it does this... :confused:

I don't know why it does this...

because iomega may be the only company in the world that handles their own technology worse than the people they sell it to.

Originally posted by starfleetX
There are bugs in iomega's drivers for DOS-formatted Zip disks. I encounter this problem occasionally. Usually I'll get a dialog uponinserting the disk that it is unreadable and needs to be formatted. It gives you the option to go to the Disk Utility. I do that and then eject the disk from there. Then, if I immediately reinsert the disk, it is usually recognized and mounts fine.

I don't know why it does this... :confused:

i'm pretty sure that works, too because my other zip is formatted mac. the reason i always have a pc formatted zip is because i can use it on pc's at school. i don't think pc's can recognize mac formatted zips very well.

kafene.

Back