Permanently changing hostname on a MacBook Pro

Hippo Man

Hippo Man
I just got a new MacBook Pro running the latest version of Leopard. I want to permanently change the default hostname that it assigned to me, but none of the following work (from a root Terminal session):

/bin/hostname newhostname

/usr/sbin/networksetup -setcomputername newhostname

/usr/sbin/scutil --set ComputerName newhostname

By not working, I mean that after restart, the old hostname returns.

What I'm looking for is the result of the /bin/hostname command to always and irrevocably be "newhostname" from now until eternity.

I have 20+ years experience with Unix and Unix-like systems, by the way, so I don't need an introductory how-to-do-stuff-in-a-Terminal-window tutorial.

Thanks in advance.
.​

I promise, no terminal stuff here. :)

If you are trying to change what your computer is seen as on a network, just go to System Preferences/Sharing and change the name in the top entry field (should be something generic like "MacBook Pro" or "My Computer" or similar).

Thanks.

Just know that I'm _happy_ to go to a Terminal window. That's why I mentioned that I have so much experience with Unix/Linux. Terminal windows (or at least their Unix/Linux equivalents) are where I live.

But as long as doing this from the Sharing tab causes /bin/hostname to return the desired host name, then I'm glad.

Thanks again.
.​

Back