Physical RAM

mjmenjivar

Registered
On the Apple web page is states that the requirements for Tiger include 256MB of memory. On the box it says that it needs 256MB of physical memory. I have 128 built in and 256 added on my G3 ibook. I keep getting an "error installing software" message while I am installing Tiger. I have repaired my disk succesfully and it still does not work. Any tips?
Thank you very much.
mm

I have a G4 Quicksilver with 640 MB RAM and am using an external DVD firewire drive to attempt installing Tiger over 10.3.9 and it hangs up in the middle of the install as well. I have installed it using Pacifist, but it crashed after a few startups once i attempted to use any application. Is it the DVD? Is it the G4? I know that Apple is offering a CD version for $9.95 if I send back the DVD, proof of purchase, etc., but I have no idea if it will install any more readily that way. Any suggestions? Meanwhile I have done an archive and install and am back where I started in Panther 10.3.9 after a few days of work. Help!

I keep getting an "error installing software" message while I am installing Tiger.

What is the error mesage you're getting?

I got an error when installing Tiger, forgot what it said, but had the option of quiting the installer, or continuing. I choose to continue and it installed fine, but the disk may be bad. I can't make a disk image from it, just gets half way through and gives me an error.

Called Apple and they're sending me a new DVD.

For both with problems, check here. Also, I had no problems installing Tiger on my firewire external. So, I think you can rule out attempting to install on the firewire as the problem--not that you implied otherwise.

mjmenjivar said:
On the Apple web page is states that the requirements for Tiger include 256MB of memory. On the box it says that it needs 256MB of physical memory. I have 128 built in and 256 added on my G3 ibook. I keep getting an "error installing software" message while I am installing Tiger. I have repaired my disk succesfully and it still does not work. Any tips?
There are a lot of things that could cause this besides memory. In fact if there is not enough memory you should get a specific error message to that effect. If it is a marginal memory module you are more likely to have a kernel panic than an error message. Some things that can be causing your problem include:
  • Not enough disk space for the installation -- but that usually shows up as not being able to select the target volume.
  • Any attached USB device including hubs is suspect. Disconnect everything but the mouse and keyboard
  • Firewire devices are less likely to cause problems than USB but remove them as well
  • BobW has already mentioned a bad install DVD, did you ever get past the initial DVD check in the installer?
Other than that the exact text of the message would be extremely helpful as well as full specifics on your system.

Back