Postfix and Mail Console Errors

TheSketch

Registered
I noticed my mail was acting strangely after upgrading to Leopard. Mailboxes wouldn't display messages even though it would display the header. This seems to be a new behavior and it seems to have stopped now. That said, I went into console to check for error messages and once every ten seconds I get the following sequence of errors:

11/1/07 2:13:30 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (org.postfix.master) Throttling respawn: Will start in 9 seconds

11/1/07 2:13:39 PM postfix/master[633] fatal: file /etc/postfix/main.cf: parameter mail_owner: user postfix has same user ID as _postfix

11/1/07 2:13:40 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (org.postfix.master[633]) Exited with exit code: 1

11/1/07 2:13:40 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (org.postfix.master) Throttling respawn: Will start in 9 seconds

I did a search through the forums and came up with nothing on Postfix that seems recent enough, and nothing that SEEMS related in Mail. Even a google search seems to bring up nothing but one other page.

If I had Netinfo Manager, still, I might try changing the user ID of postfix. I may figure that out and give it a whirl. Just wondering if anyone else has seen these, or if I'm missing something totally obvious.

Thanks in advance!

Postfix is an SMTP server. I think the question to ask is, why does your postfix try to start? It's not supposed to be starting on OS X client unless you've told it to do so. It doesn't sound like this is something you did though so I'm not sure why it would be trying to start.

i assumed that "TheSketch" started (configured to start)
postfix server manually as i did ...

btw, some other posts suggest that in leopard apple
changed some user accounts around,
(specifically user names, postfix => _postfix )...

not sure bout the validity of that suggestion, but changing account
names used in /etc/postfix/mail.cf seems to get rid of the posted errors.

Flybaby – adding the underscore in the main.cf did it. I also had to add it to the "setgid_group = _postdrop" line as well. Nice to see some 'peace and quiet' in the console window for a change.

Also, I was indeed buggering around with postfix which is why it was up and running.

Thanks to everyone for the help!

Back