Powerbook HD sounds like a scooter!

owaters

Registered
Good afternoon,

I woke up yestereday morning to find my computer moaning! When I attempted to use it, it ran super slow, making as much noise as a scooter!

I managed to restart the computer which resulted in it not starting up, just making a scratching noise from the HD. I restarted again, the same happened, so I tapped the top and the HD managed to start spinning again.
It took about 30mins to start up. When it finally did I backed up all my data which took hours at the speed which the computer was reading data from the HD.

Once I had completed my back up, I reinstalled OSX Panther from the system restore DVD that came with the laptop. 7....yes 7...hours later OSX had finally installed! However, the computer would not start up. The HD made more noise and the '?' symbol just kept showing up. I left my computer for a few hours, came back and it booted up just fine, no noises at all and seems to be working perfectly.

I am pretty sure there is a Hardware problem, does anyone have any advice on the situation, experienced it?

Cheers,
Oz

Sounds like a hardware problem,

Boot from the OS CD, Open Disk Utility and check the S.M.A.R.T status.
Sounds like a bad hard drive.

:D What kind of scooter?

A "Razor" type rider-powered scooter?

An electric scooter, like disabled persons use?

A gas-powered scooter, like a moped?

::ha::

My G5 occasionally fires up all its fans and sounds like a vaccuum cleaner.

Open Disk Utility, click on the drive. At the bottom you should see S.M.A.R.T Status. If it doesn't say verified, replace it.

brianleahy said:
:D What kind of scooter?

A "Razor" type rider-powered scooter?

An electric scooter, like disabled persons use?

A gas-powered scooter, like a moped?

::ha::

My G5 occasionally fires up all its fans and sounds like a vaccuum cleaner.

A gas powered scooter!

bobw said:
Open Disk Utility, click on the drive. At the bottom you should see S.M.A.R.T Status. If it doesn't say verified, replace it.

SMART Status is Verified...

Back