powerdown during optimization

spitty27

Apple Avid
i know this sounds stupid, but i was in a rush to my next class, and my battery died a long time ago, so i have to power down between classes. i was installing an update from software update, and pwoered down at 74% optimization. when i started it up, textedit wouldnt launch, but it looks like everything else is fine. ive repaired permissions and all, but it still doesnt launch. if i just get a new copy from a different computer do you suppose it would work?

edit: now i cannot unstuff or mount dmg's. I think i need to reinstall panther. do you suggest a clean install, archive and install, or just install 10.3.2 (from G5 cd) over 10.3.3 and then update through software update?

thanks

Probably need to reinstall. You could TRY an update, but it might not work, seeing as you already have a version later than that which is on the CD already installed. I'd do a clean install, but Archive is a good option too.

Oh, and get a new battery ;)

You probably don't need to reinstall. Open the Terminal (if it will launch) and type in "sudo update_prebinding -root / -force" (without the quotes, of course) and let it run. It will probably take quite a while. This is the command (or a variant of the command) that is run when the "Optimizing..." process runs. Since you interrupted it, quite a few programs on your hard drive cannot find their dependencies and libraries. Running this command will fix that.

If you can't launch Terminal, try booting into single-user mode (Command-S while starting up) and run the same command from there.

Killing the power or interrupting the "Optimizing..." process is probably the best and most effective way of killing an OS X installation. It is highly recommended that you do NOT interrupt this process, class or not! Skip class if it means you'd be interrupting that process! ;)

lol thanks for the replies, im at home and am gonna try that right now. the powerbook is almost 4 years old, and spending $150 on a new battery doesn't seem all that worth it. Besides, its not my primary system, I've got a wonderful G5 :) - I wouldn't care at all to reformat the powerbook.

ill post back if it works.

You mean you wouldn't _mind_ to reformat the PowerBook or _care_? ... If the tip with the Terminal-optimisation doesn't work out, I'd certainly do just that: Reformat and very cleanly reinstall OS X. It's good to do that from time to time if you _have_ the time. :)

k the update_prebinding didnt do anything (yes i restarted). i guess ill just swipe it clean with the 9.2 installer, install 9, and then install panther.

hmm on second thought. ill jsut use software restore from the g5 dvd and install 9 and x

thanks for the input.

Software Restore most probably won't work with the PB. I tried my iBook's on the iMac and I had to 'hack' the CDs and install from the disk images :(.

Ah, true dlloyd -- also, it is against the license agreement, and, hence, is illegal, for you to have OS X installed on the G5 and use those same disks to install OS X on your PowerBook. You need to purchase another copy to install on your PowerBook.

dlloyd said:
Well, I thought he said he had the Panther discs...

He does have Panther disks: G5 restore Panther disks. If he's got OS X installed on the G5 and has not purchased a retail copy of Panther (which he hasn't said he has) then it would be illegal to use the G5 disks to install Panther on the PowerBook.

spitty: I always opt for a good, clean, fresh install any time my system has a problem so major it prevents a normal boot. Reinstalling my programs takes time, but no brainpower, so it's a snap to do. I've got my mail settings memorized (even for three accounts!) -- most ISPs use "mail.xxxx.com/net" and "pop. or smtp.xxxx.com.net" and you've already got the username and password written down somewhere. Over time, interface tweaks will fall into place as you work, like the size of your Dock and what icons you have in there. Important files are on your backup or another computer, if you need them. All in all, not a painful process.

I would suggest clean installing a legal copy of Panther on your PowerBook, and, as good practice, not installing updates during rainstorms or running on battery power (since you never know exactly when that update will finish).

Back