PowerMac G4 933mhz...Will not install Tiger!

Silicon

Registered
I have been running this machine with OS X Server 10.4 for several months with no problems,however the machine will not now boot and continues to process a screen relating to a "Darwin Kernal" fault and ends with panic: I am hanging here. I have tried all the re-boot methods I know about but with no success.
I have now attempted to re-install OS X Server 10.4 more than once ,but the install halts refering to an unknown error and will not continue.I have moved and the memory chips from one slot to another removed one or the other completely but the install is always stoped. Any help advise gratefully appreciated now pulling my hair out!

I have been running this machine with OS X Server 10.4 for several months with no problems,however the machine will not now boot and continues to process a screen relating to a "Darwin Kernal" fault and ends with panic: I am hanging here. I have tried all the re-boot methods I know about but with no success.
I have now attempted to re-install OS X Server 10.4 more than once ,but the install halts refering to an unknown error and will not continue.I have moved and the memory chips from one slot to another removed one or the other completely but the install is always stoped. Any help advise gratefully appreciated now pulling my hair out!

Next thing I would try would be to attempt booting off of a different OS X cd. You may also try a new hard drive in the box. One thing I do is boot off a CD with no hard drive attached - to prove the logic board is not the problem.. This problem is almost certainly hardware. You've already ruled out RAM, so I'd expect logic board/processor, or hard drive. As it is not 'freezing' or 'hanging' (spinning wheel), I'd expect a logic board problem... Good luck :p
Todd

If it's worth it to you - TechTool Pro 4 or Drive 10 will test everything in the box for you...
http://www.micromat.com/tt_pro_4/tt_pro_4.html
Hope you find the problem cheeply...

Once you get it going again - (don't swear at me) a good back-up plan would save you some time - and consider a good UPS - line spikes can fry a board without you knowing it...

Boot off the Tiger DVD and run a secure erase option, like a zero fill. Bad blocks and technical junk can cause this to happen. :)

What should I expect to occur when I boot the machine with the hardrive disconected? A strange occurance is that I have been able to "restore" the system using the original restore disc set I got when I purchased the machine, but neither Tiger 10.4 or Tiger Server 10.4 will install or upgrade the system always halting 75% into the installation.I think I will purchase an new hardrive later today can you recommend a good suitable drive?
Again many thanks for your help

As I suspect my system hardrive is faulty is there a method of installing
Tiger 10.4 on an external harddrive that is connected to the box by the USB
port. I have made an attemp at doing this but the installer reports that
OS X cannot start up from this volume, is there a way around this?
most gratefull for any help?

Further update....I have now replaced the HarDrive and installed and uipdated to
10.2.8, but Tiger Server 10.4 or Tiger 10.4 will just not install, the install is halted 75% through the process quoting "there were errors" please re-start.
I have now tried two hardrives same problem.
Could there be a firmware fault, Superdrive fault,ROM fault, can anyone think of anything other than a dreaded "Logic Board replacement"
Help needed please?

Please continue posting in this thread rather than starting a new thread each time you post this problem.

Back