Pricing

Quietly

Maybe
Has anyone noticed (in the UK) that prices for the Macbook Pro & New iMac are higher than their predecessors? Why's that then? US prices are the same as they were before, but for some reason we've taken (an albeit smallish) price hit?

What's it like elswhere in the world?

Sort of hard to compare the PowerBooks to the MacBooks though. Many of the components aren't directly comparable.

In Australia they haven't gone up, but at $4,000 so they damn well shouldn't.

One thing that has happened though is that they no longer have 12", so the cheapest model in AU is $3,200, whereas the cheapest PowerBook was $2,500

Different states have varying degrees of sales tax (essentially VAT) and most shops don't display the price inclusive of sales tax.

However, VAT hasn't changed so that wouldn't explain why the prices on the UK store are higher than they were before. It could be something to do with a shortage of certain components in Europe.

The basic MacBook Pro is 2k USD - same as the basic 15" Powerbook. The basic iMac is 1299 USD - same as it was before. In the UK there is a markup on both of 30 GBP over the previous versions. Just noticed on the European stores the MacBook is actually priced up by 100 EUR.

As for component shortages in Europe, not really an issue seing as they're built in the far east regardless of which country they're sold in.

Seems Apple Europe is trying to cash in a bit to me.

Don't have a price for Europe yet, but I was REALLY disappointed to see that the prices were already astronomical in US. I was expecting something cheaper after Apple's move to Intel, but... it seems that there won't be any PC (PC) desktop conquering campaing with these prices. That is: no chance for those with less money.

? ... Wait for the Mac mini and the iBook to go intel if you want cheap.

Back