Problem with ethernet port

ltmoira

Registered
My husband has been working for a couple of days now on a problem with his Quicksilver G4.

Here's the problem: after trying to upgrade from 10.2.8 to Panther, he ran into problems, and decided to go back to Jaguar using a backup he'd made via Retrospect.

The Retrospect backup worked previously, so there is no reason to think that there's anything wrong with the backup disc.

Since restoring the computer to 10.2.8 though, he's able to use everything, BUT he can't get onto the Internet. When he goes into the Network setup panel it shows the choices for built in ethernet, etc. but they are greyed out and he can't check the check boxes.

Does anyone have any experience with this problem? Any advice on what to do? We've trolled the internet looking for possible solutions, tested the router and modem (I'm on the net, so it's working fine), we tested the cable, zapped the PRAM, reset the motherboard thing, gone into Open Firmware and reset-nvram, repaired disk permissions, got rid of Network preferences. We're totally stumped.

Thanks for any thoughts!

You could try repairing permissions. But, I would do a clean install of the OS. I do one about twice year any way. You'd be surprised the speed boost you get from a nice clean OS.

Repairing permissions might help. Also, check to make sure that the account he's using has the ability to administer the computer. If not, then you might have to create a new account with admin rights and then enable the admin rights for his old account.

Here's another question:
Could the e-net port be bypassed via some sort of FireWire/e-net adapter, if such a gizmoleon exists? Note my alias. I don't know if I've even got my ladder leaning against the right wall. Will someone puh-le-ea-se answer soon so I don't completely ruin my desk from banging my head against it? Can't afford a new computer yet and must get back online ASAP. Thanks.

It is not a bypass. However, MacOS X supports IP over FireWire. You can find it in the Network preferences pane.

Back