Problems watching WMV Movie Files on G5 OSx

wayne900

Registered
Hi -

I have switched from my old computer to a G5 Mac. I have many old .wmv files that I have been able to put onto my G5 - but they will not seem to play (even in Windows Media Player). Can anyone tell me what is going on? I have searched with my brother for the past few weeks trying to find programs that will either convert or play the video, but none of them have worked. They just take up space and waste time.

Please Help

Thank you,
Dan

My best guess is that they are copy-protected WMV files. There's no way to play these on Macs.

I could be mistaken in my diagnosis, though. I can't know for sure unless you give me a little more information, like where the files came from and what applications you've tried.

I have some wmv that dont play.

I use mplayer and I find it plays more than quicktime but it doesnt play everything.

I suspect it could be an odd size resolution either audio or video or if encoded in variable bit rate VBR that the start of the file at an odd bitrate that the mac players cant understand.

I have the same happen on my standalone DVD player and mpeg4 where a file is encoded VBR and the player stumbles and goes for the next file.

In MPlayer, get info on the movie, and see what codecs it uses. MPlayer and VLC can't play "WMV3" (Windows Media Player 9 video). Windows Media Player for Mac can, but again, not if it's copy-protected. You can also play WMV3 video in QuickTime using Flip4Mac's WMV Player component, but it can't handle copy protection, either.

Back