Program to access multiple messenger protocols. (fire is giving trouble)

tobes

Registered
Hey all,

Fire has an annoying habbit of not responding occasionally. Ill be typing a message and it doesn't update the display for up a to a couple of minutes sometimes. While its doing that I cant do anything else in Fire at all.

So are there any solutions to this or alternatively replacements for fire?

thanks,

Tobes

Try trashing your Fire pref file. Home>Library>preferences... trash the fire.plist file, empty the trash, then start Fire and see if things improve.

There are other messenger programs like Fire, but I have not used them, so I can't tell you how good they are.
JBuddy Messenger
TVJab

Yep, try adium (www.adiumx.com)
It runs a bunch of protocols (AIM, MSN, Yahoo, Jabber, Gadu-Gadu, Trepia, and Napster.) and is insanely customizable. New releases come out roughly every week, and there is a site for pre-made styles for pretty much all the customizable elements if you don't want to do it yourself (see www.adiumxtras.com/ ).
Also, its free and the developers are very friendly and responsive.

Like Cheryl said, try trashing the Fire.plist file.

Make sure you have the latest version - v1.0.2

I've been using it for a long time and have never had any problems like that.

While I'm sure there is an easy fix for your current dilemma, if you were considering an alternative, you would do well to check out Proteus 4. Although it is Shareware, it's a stunning multi-protocol messenger app, and offers a level of polish beyond that of FIRE and the free alternatives.

Back