Protecting Mail.app with a password?

themacko

Barking at the moon.
My roommate's tend to use my Mac when I'm not around which isn't a problem at all. However, the one thing I'd like to keep private from them is my email. Is there a way to password protect Mail.app so my roommates can't just open it up and start reading?

I know I can make another 'User' in OSX, but that shouldn't be necessary if I just want to protect this on application. Is it?

I would make another user account, in order to protect ALL your stuff from snoopy room-mates. Perhaps a simple guest account would be the best solution to keeping them out of the important stuff.

Other possibilities:

Using KeyChain, you could prevent your roomies from downloading new mail without the password, though that wouldn't protect the mail that is already there.

You might also be able to set up a simple shell script that would lock up Mail.app and unlock it again, though that would be more trouble than it is worth.

Or get Cypher (.app) from versiontracker, and encrypt your mail.app.
It leaves your mailboxes on the default folders ~/Library etc, so maybe protecting ~/Library as well could be an idea. I guess Applescript could do it ..

Back