Question: Applications folder with multiple partitions

kommakazi

Hack the Planet!@#
On my iMac I have my 45gig drive in 2 partitions, a generous 6gig partition for my system folders and the rest on another partition for all my applications and documents. By default OS X installs all it's Applications on the same drive the system is installed on. I copied the Applications folder onto my second partition (in it's root) and deleted the one on my boot partition, replacing it with an alias to the one on the other drive. This works fine until I install new software, when the Installer replaces my alias with a whole new Applications folder it places newly installed items into. Is there any way to make OS X look for the folder on my second partition by default? It is getting annoying manually copying newly installed items to the other partition.

I partitioned because there is an issue with Rev A iMacs have to have all system folders located on the first 8 gigs of a hard drive. This wasn't an inital problem with these models since they came with only 4gig drives. The problem occurs when you upgrade/reinstall system software, the installer doesn't know this and installs outside the first 8gigs, making your hard drive unbootable

Leave the original default application folder there, do the install and then move/delete the application. Most all apps that I have used still work fine somewhere else.

I know, if you read my post I already said I did that, it's just really annoying always having to do that so I was looking for a way to not have to do that.

OK, sorry to have replied without reading and comprehending. I should have said get a new Mac like Apple wants you too.

Back