Quicktime movie won't play on WinXP

neuby

Registered
Hmmm - I created a movie using iMovie, exported it as a quicktime movie, and it plays fine on my mac. When I sent it to an IBM machine, quicktime on that machine complains that 'it is not a file that quicktime understands'!

Thought it might have been a file corruption issue, but I can still access the file (while sitting on the Windows hard drive) from my Mac, and play it! Obviously the file is fine, yet neither Quicktime Win, nor Windows Media Player can handle it - though they have no problems with other .mov files.

-confused.

PS, yes, I upgraded my WinXP Quicktime to the latest version via the Apple site.

neuby said:
Hmmm - I created a movie using iMovie, exported it as a quicktime movie, and it plays fine on my mac. When I sent it to an IBM machine, quicktime on that machine complains that 'it is not a file that quicktime understands'!

Thought it might have been a file corruption issue, but I can still access the file (while sitting on the Windows hard drive) from my Mac, and play it! Obviously the file is fine, yet neither Quicktime Win, nor Windows Media Player can handle it - though they have no problems with other .mov files.

-confused.

PS, yes, I upgraded my WinXP Quicktime to the latest version via the Apple site.

First thing I'd do is look at the details of a .mov that DOES play on WinDoze and compare it to your new file. You could also try .avi or .mpg. I thought there was a button to click to make a .mov cross-platform, no?

HTH

Big Al said:
First thing I'd do is look at the details of a .mov that DOES play on WinDoze and compare it to your new file. You could also try .avi or .mpg. I thought there was a button to click to make a .mov cross-platform, no?

HTH

Hmmm- is there a way to translate a .mov file into an mpeg/avi - on the mac platform? (Since it won't play on Windoze, it is best to stick to the mac for manipulation)

Something like Graphic converter for movies.

If you have quicktime pro, than you can simply export into many different files.
VLC is VideoLanClient. It's a alround player for all platforms. Google vlc and you should find the hp and download the windoze client. If vlc can't handle the mov file as well, you should really think of converting...

Back