reading dvd

malibuchevy

Registered
my son made me a DVD-r of mp3 files and a dvd on his new mac. I cannot get it to read on my system. Other CDs and dvds work fine so know disk drive is ok . I have tried the disk on windows based computers and it works fine. Is my computer too old to read or do you have a suggestion on how to read? When I insert the disk, nothing comes up on the desk top to click on to read.
Thanks

Hi

Its possible it could be a dual layer disk? Can you check if it says anything to that effect on the disk? Also when you use the disk in another machine and check size is it larger than 4.3GB?

Ed

A dual-layer disk isn't an issue -- even if you have a DVD-R that can only burn single-layer DVDs, you can still read dual-layer DVDs (hint: the Mac OS X Leopard Install/Restore DVD is a dual-layer DVD, and all Macs with DVD drives read it just fine).

It sound like your son perhaps created the DVD, but "left it open for appending" -- which Mac OS X is kind of flaky with. How, exactly, did your son burn the DVD? Drag-and-drop? Nero? Roxio Easy Media Creator?

I have seen dual layer DVD's burned in Roxio Toast that will not mount on older DVD drives but work fine in later models. My client had to switch back to single layer DVD's for archiving so all their Mac's could read them.

Ed

Back