Recovering from crash OS X

javriv

Registered
I had a blue-screen-at-start problem and had to reinstall a clean copy of jaguar. Now all my users and applications, preferneces etc are not available. The data is there, but can't use it without the correct users. How can I restore the old OS? Any ideas, suggestions?
Thanks
Jav

First of, you say the data is there? So, are the original home folders still there? When you did the reinstall, did you make a new user folder? With this information I/or someone else could help you out much better. As long if your orginal user folder/folders are there, a Repair Permission/Disk Utility from the install disk could help.

Yes, all is there, in a "previous system" folder. I just need to get all the users back (my family) and all the photos for iphoto, imovie files, etc, etc. I could log in as root and import the folders, but how about users?
Thanks again

Jav

When you did the reinstall, on your first login, did you use the same user name that you were using when you created the iMovie, iPhoto, etc. files? Or are you using a different user name?

By the way, did you repair permissions?

Oh, by the way, unlike Windows, upon a crash (kernel panic) a reinstall is not necessary. Plus, IMHO don't ever use a Norton product on OS X. Alsoft's Disk Warrior is the best repar software.

well to get them back u will have to first find out the user id and the group id of the previous users. then u will have to edit the netinfo db, crateing new users, with those ids. u now should be able to access those files! logging in as those new users. you can also change the new users home dir location to those dirs.

these steps are complex, and diffifult to explain!
hopefully someone might be able to help u there.

Whoa! Use extreme caution when messing around in NetInfo. As I understand it, messing around with NetInfo can mess up your OS if you don't know what you're doing.

Whoa! I would really like some explanation on how to repair permissions and use netinfo. I had to recreate the users, and then transfer the folders from the previous users to the new ones, but then the permissions were all wrong. Then had to go and reset the permissions of the folders while in root, but there must be a better way.
Also, I need backup, and the only thing I've seen so far is to another drive (carbon copy, FWB and others) I ould like to create a bootable CD that let me restore my system from Backed up CDs or CDRW, so I can be backing up constantly.
Thanks and will be awaiting for your comments.
Jav

Originally posted by javriv
Whoa! I would really like some explanation on how to repair permissions and use netinfo.

Two ways to repair permissions. There is an Apple program in the folder Applications->Utilities->Disk Utility. You can run it from your desktop. However, If you start the machine with the OS X 10.2 install CD,when it gives you the first 'click here'on the initail install, Stop. Go to the Menu (I seem to remember the Blue Apple or File- then open Disk Utility and Repair Permissions. Going from the install CD seems more effective.

Also, I need backup, and the only thing I've seen so far is to another drive (carbon copy, FWB and others) I ould like to create a bootable CD that let me restore my system from Backed up CDs or CDRW, so I can be backing up constantly.
Thanks and will be awaiting for your comments.
Jav

Carbon Copy Cloner is a great utility! However it does not backup directly to a CD/DVD. It can backup to a disk image (created with Applications->Utilities->Disk Copy). Once you backup to the disk copy image that can be burned to CD/DVD.

Whoa! I would really like some explanation on how to repair permissions and use netinfo.

Netinfo is VERY POWERFUL. You need a healthy dose of unix/server experience.

My advice to you is get Mac OS X the Missing Manual. It will walk you through about 80 to 90 % of a HOME user questions.

Back