Renamed apps think they've moved

burgerking

Registered
Hey,

I just got my first Mac on Friday and am liking it, however, the transition from PC makes a lot of things unusual and I feel powerless and illiterate sometimes when I can't figure out how to do simple things that I could do in a heartbeat on a PC.

One of those things is renaming files...

I recently installed the design edition of Adobe CS3 and renamed Photoshop and Dreamweaver just as shortened names, instead of having Adobe on the front.

Now, when I load up Photoshop it gives me this message that says "Application has Moved" telling me that some settings need to be repaired. It doesn't matter if I say Cancel or Repair Now because either way it loads up properly. And it says it EVERY time I start it up, why can't it just repair once?

Dreamweaver stopped doing this after the first time, so, I'll mention that before installing the Suite, I had the trial version of Photoshop CS3 for a few days before. I uninstalled it through Adobe Uninstaller and installed the new one. So why do I keep getting this annoying message??

Thanks

Sounds like Adobe's apps are just finicky. Although, and this is just my two cents, I wouldn't recommend renaming apps, only their aliases ("shortcuts" in Windows-land) and the folders that contain the apps.

Speaking more technically, you never know if an app has been coded to look for itself by a specific name. What you think are applications are actually folders ending in .app (may or not show suffix), and inside that folder is the actual executable and its resources. If you rename the "application", such as "yada yada Photoshop.app", you are changing the path to the resources inside. Some apps might be smart enough to figure out what happened, but some just aren't that smart. Not a Mac shortcoming in particular, just lazy coding by third-party developers.

But congrats on making the switch, I know you'll be happy with your Mac!

Yeah, seems like it's just Adobe's apps. I've renamed Firefox to something else and it's still worked fine. Same for some other apps.

Back