Restore

snuflupukis

Registered
I have heard this before and I cant seem to find the thread that metions this. I was wondering if it is possible to take the software restore CD's that came with my tower and install only certain programs from those CD's. I heard that you have to copy all the .img files to your hard drive and do something with them in order to do this. Has anyone else heard of doing this, and if you have can you please tell me how. Thanks

Yes, there is a way to store only a portion of the packages -- but you need a special utility called Pacifist

This utility lets you open packages and install only selected files:

csrstka@mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/csrstka/

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: What is Pacifist? What is it used for?

A: Pacifist is a utility which opens the .pkg files used for Mac OS X installers and allows you to extract individual files out of them. This can come in handy if, say, your Mail application is damaged, and you would like to get a fresh copy from the CD without reinstalling the entire operating system. Pacifist also has the ability to traverse links properly and install files without altering the permissions of existing folders. Finally, Pacifist can optimize your system's performance by updating the prebinding information of your applications.

Q: How do I extract a file from a package using Pacifist?

A: First open the package containing the file you want, either by choosing "Open Package..." from the File menu or by dragging a package onto Pacifist's icon. Now navigate through the package to the file you want to extract, click on it. Next, if you want to extract the file to the default location where the Installer would install it, choose "Extract Files..." from the File menu. If you would rather install the file to another folder, choose "Extract To..." from the File menu.

Q: How do I optimize my system's performance using Pacifist?

A: To do this, simply choose “Update Prebinding for Folder...” or “Update Prebinding for Entire System..." from the Prebinding menu.

Q: Where can I find the package containing applications and system files on the install CD?

A: These packages are all located in the folder System/Installation/Packages on the Mac OS X install CD. The package in that folder that contains applications and most other system files is called Essentials.pkg. Many low-level UNIX files are found in the package named BSD.pkg, and localized resources for various languages are found in the other packages.

Q: I tried to use Pacifist to reinstall a clean copy of Disk Utility or the Installer, but I can't find it in any of the packages on the CD! What should I do?

A: These applications are actually not found in any of the packages. Instead, they are found in the Applications/Utilities folder on the CD-ROM itself. The Installer can be reinstalled simply by dragging it to your hard disk. Disk Utility is setuid root, however, so the Finder will not let you copy it. Instead, unfortunately, you will need to use the Terminal, and type the following command:

sudo cp -r /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ CD/Applications/Utilities/Disk\ Utility.app /Applications/Utilities

This should copy the Disk Utility app to the Applications/Utilities folder on your hard disk, assuming it exists.

Q: Is Pacifist a complete replacement for the Installer? Should I use Pacifist to install OS updates?

A: Pacifist, in its present form, is not a complete replacement for the Installer. For example, it does not run the pre-install or post-install scripts of a package. This has several implications - one one hand, it can make installation safer, since a poorly written shell script can cause damage to your files. On the other hand, there is the possibility that there could be something important that the shell script does that is necessary for a complete install to be successful. Therefore, installing something as vital as an OS update using Pacifist and allowing it to replace the files of your current OS installation has never been tested, and such is dangerous and should be done only at your own risk, although if you do try this, please e-mail me to let me know whether it worked. Pacifist works best, however, for installing individual files, apps, etc. from installers, and this is its recommended use.

Is there any way of doing this using the software restore CD's, I want to install iDVD, but iDVD does not come on any of the OS X install CD's. It just comes on the software restore CD's. Is there a way of installing iDVD from the software CD's. Thanks for the reply

Back