Router indicates activity on sleeping Powerbook

habilis

Ministry of Re-Education
This is my simple network:
Cable Modem to 4-port Router which I have My Dual G4 and Powerbook connected to.

My router has indicator lights that show which lines are active. When my G4 is awake and in use, the indicator is on, and when my G4 is asleep the router light is off – which is fine and functional. the same holds true for my Powerbook except for one thing, when I put my Powerbook to sleep, the routers indicator light shows that the line is still active. If I shut down the Powerbook, rather then put it to sleep, the activity light will go off then, but it seems there is still some sort of connection when sleeping?

To me this sounds correct. The idea is to be able to wake up your powerbook via lan while it's sleeping. Try to unmark the wakeup functions under System Preferences -> Energy Saver -> Options. Maybe that will turn off the lan while sleep..

Oh, excellent. So in case I wanted to pull a file off it while it's sleeping I could just wake it up for a second. But can I put it back to sleep? I found the "Wake for ethernet network Administrator access" option. cool. But is there any sort of security risk with this? I mean can a hacker scan its ports while it's sleeping? is its IP visible?

I never tried this option, but I think a special wakeup packet is needed. Why don'T you try it? Let it sleep and try to ping and see if it will wake up or if the ip is assigned at all.. Would be nice to know.
And you can actually put it back to sleep when you define the time_of_no_activity_and_turn_to_sleep very low (5mins?!).

Back