Safari 2.0: new window weirdness

Mikuro

Crotchety UI Nitpicker
I have two problems with Safari 2.0's handling of new windows:

1. It makes them when it shouldn't. For example, when it's loading a link from another application, it insists upon opening it in a new window rather than a new tab like it used to. This is in spite of the fact that I have the "Open links from other applications" option set to "in a new tab in the current window".

2. Whenever I open a new window after closing them all, it positions the new one as though the old one were still open. That is to say, it's about 20-40 pixels down and to the right of its proper position.

These are really bugging me. Any way to fix it? And does this happen to everyone, or is it just my system?

Mikuro said:
I have two problems with Safari 2.0's handling of new windows:

1. It makes them when it shouldn't. For example, when it's loading a link from another application, it insists upon opening it in a new window rather than a new tab like it used to. This is in spite of the fact that I have the "Open links from other applications" option set to "in a new tab in the current window".

2. Whenever I open a new window after closing them all, it positions the new one as though the old one were still open. That is to say, it's about 20-40 pixels down and to the right of its proper position.

1. I can confirm your first bug(?) and have not been able to fix it yet.
2. I don't understand.

The Ghost said:
2. I don't understand.
Sorry, let me elaborate:

Say you have a Safari window open, and you create a second one. The second window's size will be the same as the first, but its position will be offset a bit so it doesn't completely cover the first. This is standard behavior.

The problem is when you open a new first window. e.g., close your current Safari window (so there are none open), then select "New Window" from the File menu. A new window appears, but it has its "offset" position, instead of the standard position.

Mikuro said:

I looked more closely at the last line in Safari General preferences. Then, I clicked on the ?. Here is what I found.

"The "Open links from applications" options let you choose what happens when you click in a link in an application such as Mail or iChat. Safari can open a new window for the link or replace the contents of the current window with the link's contents. If you've enabled tabbed browsing, Safari can also open a new tab for the link."

Perhaps the behavior you want is limited to applications only "such as" Mail or iChat.

No, it's not. It works perfect for me in NetNewsWire2, for example. I'd trash Safari's prefs and try again. Or: Create a test user (which has no prefs to start up with) and see if it works there. If it does, trash your Safari prefs...

fryke said:
No, it's not. It works perfect for me in NetNewsWire2, for example. I'd trash Safari's prefs and try again. Or: Create a test user (which has no prefs to start up with) and see if it works there. If it does, trash your Safari prefs...

Yes, it does work generally--confirmed by me too. Interestingly, it doesn't work with Safari, itself--which is the main application I would want it to work from. When I initially confired the poster's problem 1, I was using Safari. I assumed that Safari would be an included application. Oh well.

Links that open in a new window from Safari use an entirely different mechanism, specified by the HTML. External links have no "target" data, so it's entirely up to the browser what to do with them. I would LOVE for Safari to have a feature to open "new window" internal links in new tabs instead, like iCab (and I think Firefox), but unfortunately it doesn't.

The problem's gone now, though. I have no idea what I did, but...it's gone, at least for now. *shrug*

The second problem is still happening, although it also disappeared for a while. I have no idea why it stopped, and I have no idea why it came back. I'm confused.

I figured out how to temporarily fix the second problem, with the window opening in the "second window" position: just resize the window, even if only by a pixel. Then the behavior goes back to normal. However, the problem will come back sometimes, and I haven no idea why. The fix usually holds across launches, but sometimes it just stops working, at which point I have to resize the window again. Not that big a deal, but it's still odd.

Back