Seeking replacement for internal AirPort card

rubicon

Registered
I've looked around and can't seem to find any vendor offering a replacement internal AirPort card for TiBooks. It seems if I want to use 802.11g instead of the built-in 802.11b, I need to use the CardBus (PC Card) slot.

Doesn't someone make a card to replace the internal AirPort? I thought I read the internal AirPort card is just another CardBus (PC Card) slot which would mean that any other PC Card would fit.

Anyone have any facts about this?

rubicon said:
I've looked around and can't seem to find any vendor offering a replacement internal AirPort card for TiBooks. It seems if I want to use 802.11g instead of the built-in 802.11b, I need to use the CardBus (PC Card) slot.

Doesn't someone make a card to replace the internal AirPort? I thought I read the internal AirPort card is just another CardBus (PC Card) slot which would mean that any other PC Card would fit.

Anyone have any facts about this?

There have been many older Airport cards refurbished on sale in the Special Deals section. Also, maybe Small Dog and MacSales (both .com) usually have older Airport cards available.

The cards are not standadr PC cards, so don't try to install a third party card in there, it may do damage. The only standard PC cards Apple used were in the Base Stations. Those were Orinoco Silver cards and were standard PC cards.

Hope this helps,
Mike

I think the problem is a lack of Mac drivers. There are many 802.11 PC Cards, but I don't know of any with Mac drivers.

brianleahy said:
I think the problem is a lack of Mac drivers. There are many 802.11 PC Cards, but I don't know of any with Mac drivers.

Since the last release of Apple's Airport software, it now supports a lot of 3rd party cards. Also, there is a software package out there that supports many 3rd party cards, but I can't seem to find it right now.

You shold have good luck with PC cards, no matter the vendor with Airport, but with the internal slot, only Airport cards will work.

Mike

I think pretty much any card with a "Broadcom" chipset will work right out of the box. But only in a cardbus slot, not the internal slot.

Thanks for the info. Too bad Apple didn't make a suitable, internal, replacement card. Apple has always been about moving forward and not looking back.

Back