setting up ftp access and airport

27 houdini's

guy with great hairdo
I enebled ftp acces to my computer, but becaus i use airport i only see the local ip adress (local adress ftp://10.0.1.2/). How do i make my computer accessible trough ftp when i am in an airport network?

You're trying to access the FTP server from within the same network? Go to the Sharing System Preferences pane and look to see what the sharing address is.

ok, let me refrase my quesion to avoid obvious answers

I enabled ftp acces to my computer, so some one on the other side of the planet can access my computer.
Because i use airport i can only see the local ip adress (sharing adress ftp://10.0.1.2/). How do i make my computer accessible through ftp when i am in an airport network?

I found this old question, and I'd have the same problem (I should share some Mac OS X volumes over the Internet through AirPort and I'd need to know their full IP address).

Anyone knowing the answer to houdini's question? :)

27 houdini's said:
ok, let me refrase my quesion to avoid obvious answers

I enabled ftp acces to my computer, so some one on the other side of the planet can access my computer.
Because i use airport i can only see the local ip adress (sharing adress ftp://10.0.1.2/). How do i make my computer accessible through ftp when i am in an airport network?

you must port map the airport.

1. go to the aiport admin utility and log in
2. click on tab internet
3. copy down the ip address ( this is the ip which the airport uses)
4. click on port mapping tab
5. add
6. public port 21
7. private addrress is the ip of the computer you want on the net (10.0.1.2)
8. private port 21
9. update airport and it should work

Back