shapeshifter free alternative?

fases

Registered
hi there... again... :rolleyes:

i downloaded shapeshifter, so i could theme my os x, but it's a demo, so i'd like to know if there is a free alternative to this. i couldn't find any...

regards.

Purchasing Shapeshifter is worth the piece of mind. The alternatives offer no guarantees, and free interface hacks with OSX have gone spectacularly wrong for some people in the past.

It's not always easy paying for software, but Jeff's right. If you really want to theme your Mac, use Shapeshifter. It's quick, easy and painless. If not, be content with Aqua and change your icons and your desktop.

And ShapeShifter includes a guarantee? ;-) ... Yes, me too, I'm sure it's better than the 'older' way of themeing OS X, but where's that guarantee, and if I lose any work, will unsanity pay? Of _course_ not. I say: Just _don't_ waste any time finding the 'right' theme for your Mac. Instead: Earn some money by doing actual work. :)

Does any software include a guarantee? I say find a theme you like and that will bring more enjoyment (and possibly productivity) but don't forget to have a good backup plan in place (no matter what you do).
Btw, don't you use launchbar, Fryke? What about other software Any guarantees that something won't happen to mess your work? But you use it right?
Also, the Apple software page now has links to theme-related applications. :D

I was just kidding about the guarantee remark. And: I'm _quite_ surprised Apple sports theme-related apps. That's a nice turn. ;-) ... And yes, of _course_ I'm using LaunchBar, the only launcher that can! :)

I use theme changer. its free and safer vs. shapeshifter. I bought shapeshifter but switched to theme changer after I heard so many good things about it.

theme changer simply changes the built in gui images with ones of the same name and same everything. the only difference is that the images that replace look different on the screen. theme changer also changes the look of the login window and log out panel. the core os stuff that shapeshifter seems to forget. theme changer also has aqua restore like ss.

shapeshifter seems to be more of a stand alone app vs. a simple almost res edit like hack in theme changer. the only problem with it is very few themes work on it. the newest smooth stripes works fine though and thats my fav. theme anyway so I could care less about others. :)

I have never had 1 single issue big or small with it.

check it out: http://themechanger.sourceforge.net/

I've heard bad things, very bad things about themechanger. Use at your own risk. If you need more info, check out the forums on most of the gui-related sites.

Back