sharing and public folders (osx - windows)

arri

Registered
hi.

i've got three questions:

• sharing home-folder
i turned on samba / windows-sharing in osx, and discovered that
somehow all windows-users have read-access to my whole home-dir.
i suipposed this should only be true for my Public/ and Sites/ folders,
so i changed the permissions on my home-dir to 755,
and it's content to 644, except for Sites/ and Public/, which i also set to 755.
i would guess that windows-users now can access Sites/ and Public/,
but they can't. You can see the webpage inside Sites/ using a brwoser, but cannot acces Public/ or the DropBox inside it.

Why is that?

• sharing another drive
i'd like to share my music on the LAN network with everyone. the music and itunes-library sits in a folder called music, on a second hardrive.
How do i share that one folder (read/write) to other users on the network (both windows and mac) without password restrictions?

• i noticed that if i login once from a windows machine to the OSX machine, that the login-info (name/pass) are remembered..
so if i login from a roommates machine once, he can then after that always loginto my mac.
how does one turn that of in wiondows?

thanks
arri

• sharing home-folder

That shouldn't be the case unless you login with your Mac name and password or your Windows machine uses the same name and password. I don't know how to login as a guest from a Windows machine.

• sharing another drive

Try Sharepoints (free I think) or wait until OS X Tiger... I think that will greatly improve sharing and user privileges.

• i noticed that if i login once from a windows....

Don't know, but Windows does that for every network connection I make, even to other Windows machines, it's very annoying.

Back