Sonnet HARMONi

bobw

The Late: SuperMacMod
iMac 233 MHz, 266 MHz, 333 MHz (Rev. A-D)

The Sonnet HARMONi™ G3 pushes the performance of your “original” iMac to new levels, and enables you to enjoy the video editing capabilities of the latest systems! Employing a powerful 600 MHz IBM PowerPC G3 processor with on-chip 256K Level 2 cache operating at full processor speed, HARMONi will transform your iMac with a performance boost of up to 2.5x or more over the original system. The HARMONi also features a FireWire port to connect digital cameras, DV camcorders, and DVD-R/CD-RW drives—you can even use the new iPod™! FireWire is perfect for importing/working with digital video using iMovie™ and other popular applications. Everything you do on your iMac will feel faster!

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/harmoni_g3.html

its a shame that you have to install software which only installs using os 9, not classic, and that you have to install os 9, put in the processor, download the os x upgrade so that you can upgrade to os x (and it says support for OS X 10.1-10.2, not panther :( )

I've been eyeballin' one of these for a while but I just can't seem to bring myself to get one. I guess I haven't seen any reviews about it and I would love to hear some user testimonials. I guess I need to check XLR8yourmac.com and see. I know the installation looks pretty easy to me, but I guess I've been elbow deep in my iMac plenty of times. To the average user installation of one of these suckers might be a little too much.

Linky no worky...

What about that G4 upgrade for the gumdrop iMacs? You send the computer in, and for $300 they replace the mobo with one supporting a 500 Mhz G4. Personally I'd go for that instead of a G3.

Back