npaisnel

Registered
I have a HiFi separates system by Sony know as the LISSA system
Components are:
STR LSA-1
CDP LSA-1
MDP LSA-1
No phono cables between units they are all connected via Firewire

I can connect to a PC running Windows and with no software or drivers on the PC, I can input/output audio via the Firewire.
Anything playing on the amp (be it CD, MD, radio or analogue input), can be captured via the firewire.
Conversely, I can select the PC on the Amp Input select and play the audio from the PC through the amplifier. The Windows PC comes up as Unknown, rather than PC but otherwise it works fine

There was software available for Windows, but not developed further than running on Win 98 or ME. But for basic audio in/out the software is not required. Software was only for creating and naming Minidisc recordings, tuning the radio etc, so not required, for the basic audio in/out.

So when I bought the Mac, I plugged it in and initially I was really happy.
The Mac recognizes all the Sony components by name, they all appear in the Hardware profiler under the Firewire section.
The Amp even recognizes the Mac, it comes up on the amp input selector as Macintosh.

But that is as far as it goes. The Sony amp does not appear in in the Sound section of the Mac System preferences, so it cant be selected as an audio input or output device.
They see each other but do nothing after that.

Any ideas on what I can do?

Absolutely no idea.
They stopped supporting the software for the PC at version 2 for Win 98 / Win ME. They probably never produced software for the Mac.
But on Windows it works fine with no software installed.

I was hoping that if the Sony conforms to Firewire standards (I assume there are some?) and it will work on a Windows machine with no extra drivers etc then it should just work on the Mac.

Obviously not, so what now? I have Googled for this but cant find anything.

Neil

Back