sound

ackerc

Registered
Hello! So, I have a dilema. I bought this laptop from a friend. I believe it is an older macbook. I know it is a mac os x 10.4.11. It started doing this funny thing with the headphone jack, where a red light with flash on and off at random intervals and when the red light is on, sound won't come out of the computer OR external speakers. I have my laptop plugged into external speakers most of the time, but when this happens the sound will just flicker in and out or stop all together and then start randomly again. I researched a little and people had said there was a button or switch inside the audio jack i could turn with either my headphone jack inserted or a toothpick or paper clip or even sewing needle. I have looked around in there and haven't been able to find a button and have carefully poked around and still nothing- sound will come out and then the red light will flicker and I get frustrated. It's random and last sometimes all day or just a little while. I know in the sound option it will flicker from internal speakers to digital-out and I never have the option to switch back and forth it will just do it on it's own. It seems like maybe a wiring issue? Any suggestion? I know I'm probably not still under insurance since I bought it off a friend, and I can't afford to get it fixed. Anything I could do on my own? PLEASE HELP!!!
Sincerely,
Frustrated

I can see that ackerc mentioned that is an older MacBook, and that the red light is in the headphone jack. It's simply the optical audio connection, deep inside the headphone jack. Sometimes, gently 'massaging' the interior of that jack will turn the light off, if it stays on.
Other times, it means that the jack contacts that change the jack from an analog to optical, have failed, and the only fix is replacing the logic board - or replacing the audio jack if you can find someone who can do that.

@ackerc - Does your audio fail while you are using your external speakers, or only when the externals are NOT attached?

@oldmanmac- it's a mac os x 10.4.11

@deltamac- thanks for the info! I have tried poking around in the audio jack but haven't quite been able to fix anything. And the audio will fail while I have external speakers in and while I do not...which from what I've looked around at usually people will have an issue but the external will always work, but for some reason that doesn't change with mine :( I just don't want to have to pay a bunch of money to get it fixed but it's looking like I may have to do that?

Yes, with your symptoms, I suspect that your audio output jack is worn out, or has some piece inside that is loose. It 'sounds' way too intermittent. Usually the problem is one that is simply stuck with the red light on, which means the internal speakers stop working, and your MacBook thinks it has an optical connection plugged in to that port. The goal then is unsticking the connector inside - which is where the probing with another jack, or something small enough to fit all the way inside - might attempt a fix. But, your's is not simply stuck, I think.
You COULD also take your MacBook to an experienced, Apple authorized repair center, or an Apple retail store (one of those geniuses, eh?). Sometimes you get lucky. A repair center might charge $50 just to look at it - but you may want an accurate quote for a repair, and then you can decide what to do (unless you DO get lucky, and a repair tech discovers the right spot, and fixes it for you)

Your best bet, without getting the logic board repaired, or replaced, would be a USB sound card, such as a Griffin Technology iMic. That should give you reliable external speakers, but, I fear that your internal speakers won't be stable or reliable without repairs.

Thank you so much! You have been so helpful! If it's not too expensive I may just get the US sound card because I really don't ever just use the internal speakers unless they have headphones or are plugged into my speakers, so that "sounds" like it may be the best bet if it's cheaper than getting the audio jack fixed. Thanks again!
Chelsea

Back