Splitting an AVI file

alra111

Registered
Greetings,

I have an AVI file that is just a tad too big to be burned onto a single-layer DVD, even at the "most efficient" setting (forgot the exact wording) of iDVD.

I would like to do one of two things: Lower the quality just a bit (I'm just a bit over the 4.7GB limit), or split the AVI I'm trying to put on a DVD in two and end up with two DVDs. I just don't want to spend the money on DL DVDs for this!

I have googled "split AVI" and tried Bananasplitter. Perhaps, due to its age, it failed to work. Anyone have any suggestions on accomplishing this... especially lowering the quality a bit more on iDVD so that it'll fit on one DVD?

I would appreciate any help!

I would love to get rid of that "Revolution Main" theme and simply have the AVI play immediately upon disc insertion. Perhaps that alone would allow the movie to fit on one single-layer DVD.

Alra111

Last edited:
What video format is the movie currently in? Is it already MPEG2 (DVD) video, or are you relying on iDVD to convert it?

You could try Explicit. It's a very bare-bones AVI splitter. The nice thing about it is that it's lossless and fast -- it really just cuts the data in two at a point where both ends will still be playable separately. I'm not sure it works with MPEG2 video, though.

Back