Spotlight - can't remove external drive from indexing

kajoob

Registered
I have an external firewire drive. I want to remove it from spotlight indexing, so I go into spotlight preferences and it tells me under "privacy" to add any drive or folder that I don't want to be indexed. I can add my local hard drive (or any folder therein), but I can't add my external drive nor any individual folder that exists on the external drive.

Is anybody else having this problem? Any ideas as to what is causing this?

Are support threads allowed yet? (fryke?)

Anyhow, I can drag any of my externals into the Privacy section...

Yep, support threads are allowed, of course. It's only a week until we're getting a _lot_ of similar calls, I guess, and if we already have _solutions_ by then, that's even better. ;) ...

Now: I'm just guessing here... What's the state of permissions for that external drive who doesn't want to be excluded? If you get info on it in Finder, has it "ignore permissions" activated? Does it belong to you? Which build are you using?

This is the 8A428 build.

I switched it to a USB cable but it's having the same problem. Not sure where "ignore permissions" is located, but here is a Get Info...

external-getinfo.png

Hm. It should be in the "Ownership & Permissions" tab. I see it's a FAT32 volume. Might have to do with that...

Back