Strange Problem

Worldwalker

Registered
I am having a bit of a strange problem, of which there probaly, and hopefully is a simpel answer.

I have downloaded every single browser i have been able to find for mac os x, but there is ALOT of sites that i cant enter. Usually it writes something about a lost connection, but there is no problems with my connections at any other times, i have even tryed to watch the connection status in a network status application while attempting to enter the sites.

What i believe is my biggest loss, is that i have never been able to enter youtube it "losses" connection every time i have attempted to enter, no matter what browser i use. It seems to do this with more and more websites.

Have anyone here any idea why this is?!

Thanks

Sound like you might be having DNS issues. If you head to System Preferences and then Network, go into the TCP/IP settings for your Ethernet (or whatever type of connection you're trying to connect from) and make sure you have the entries for the DNS nameservers. These nameservers are what resolve a name like http://macosx.com to an IP address of that server hosting the site. Without the IPs of these nameservers on your computer, you won't be able to view the website unless you enter its IP address, hence the need for DNS. Your ISP should be able to provide you with the IPs of their DNS servers.

If you're getting the IP address dynamically from DHCP, then you might want to configure your router (if this is how you're getting the IP) to also dish out the nameserver IP infomration along with the IP, subnet mask, and gateway information. If you have this computer connected directly to a cable modem or DSL modem, then this should already be provided to your computer by the modem. If not, you can still enter them manually in the location I mentioned earlier.

Good luck!

Back