Suffix problem

StarBuck

Registered
Hi I have three macs that I use one of them has a problem which is a little bit weird.

When receiving an email in Entourage or Mail or even webmail when I save a .jpg attachment to the hard disk, I get the following problem.

If I rename the file from say test.jpg to just test it won't open in anything.

Now if I create a file local on my machine and call it test2.jpg and then rename it to test2 it works fine.

The other two machines work ok I have sent the same email to all three machines only this machine has the problem.

I have tried using panther cache cleaner and updating to 10.3.2 but still not luck.

Any ideas?

I'm assuming that you're probably receiving this JPG file from a PC user over email... if not, then the fact that the image was emailed probably resulted in the resource fork and what-not being stripped out of the file.

In this case, OS X NEEDS the extension to determine what kind of file it is, so if you take the extension away, OS X doesn't know what kind of file it is. Contrary to this, any file you create on the local machine is created with the resource forks and metadata that OS X needs to identify the file with or without an extension.

Try this: open the file in question in Preview or PhotoShop or something. Re-save it under a different name on your drive. On that newly created file, remove the extension and OS X should still be able to identify what kind of file it is and open an appropriate application when you double-click it. The reason for this is that OS X actually created the file, so the extension is not needed for OS X to identify the file.

I hope that helps!

Thanks for the reply the two other machines work ok its only this one that has the problem.

If I send the same email to all three users only this machine has the problem.

The emails are from a digital camera, I can resave the document in Graphic Converter. minus the .jpg and it works.

Whats confusing is only one machine has the problem all have the same OS 10.3.2 and Entourage 10.1.4.

Starbuck

ElDiabloConCaca said:
I'm assuming that you're probably receiving this JPG file from a PC user over email... if not, then the fact that the image was emailed probably resulted in the resource fork and what-not being stripped out of the file.

In this case, OS X NEEDS the extension to determine what kind of file it is, so if you take the extension away, OS X doesn't know what kind of file it is. Contrary to this, any file you create on the local machine is created with the resource forks and metadata that OS X needs to identify the file with or without an extension.

Try this: open the file in question in Preview or PhotoShop or something. Re-save it under a different name on your drive. On that newly created file, remove the extension and OS X should still be able to identify what kind of file it is and open an appropriate application when you double-click it. The reason for this is that OS X actually created the file, so the extension is not needed for OS X to identify the file.

I hope that helps!

Back